[Vision2020] Europe Fines Intel a Record $1.45 Billion in Antitrust Case

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Wed May 13 07:37:45 PDT 2009

Europe Fines Intel a Record $1.45 Billion in Antitrust Case

BRUSSELS — The European Commission fined Intel a record €1.06 billion on
Wednesday for abusing its dominance in the computer chip market to exclude
its only serious rival, Advanced Micro Devices.

The European Union’s competition commissioner, Neelie Kroes, said the penalty
against Intel, the equivalent of $1.45 billion, was justified because the
company had skewed competition and denied consumers a choice for chips.

Ms. Kroes said Intel had “used illegal anticompetitive practices to exclude
its only competitor and reduce consumers’ choice — and the whole story is
about consumers. ” She said Intel’s practices had “undermined innovation.”

The previous record fine for similar abuses in the European Union was €497
million imposed on Microsoft in March 2004 for blocking competition in
markets for server computers and media software.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/business/global/14compete.html?ref=technology

It appears to me that if this fine is upheld through its coming appeals that
the potential for processor price drops will be significantly reduced. In
other words, you and I likely will be paying for this decision with our next
computer purchase.

Ken