[Vision2020] Paying It Forward

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon May 11 14:06:55 PDT 2009

Courtesy of today's (May 11, 2009) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with extended
appreciation to Lisa Spence and continued gratitude to the fine people of
Moscow.

Paying it forward

(Opinion, May 2 & 3), I just want to thank the Ghazanfars for the
recognition and sincerity they have shown me.

I remember once when I was at WinCo with my daughter, who at the time was
less than a year old, and had a shopping cart full of food and other less
important necessities.

As the cashier was scanning the items I realized I was out of checks. The
cashier was less than kind about the situation. I was so humiliated,
almost in tears, when a lady behind me offered to pay for my groceries. I
couldn't believe it. I told her I would purchase the items, all I ask was
that she buy the one item I really needed - a can of formula for my
daughter, and I would pay her back. She insisted on paying for all the
groceries and would not give me her name and address so that I could later
reimburse her.

She only asked that I do something for someone else, someday. I have
searched for that "something" and have done things, but my deeds never
really seemed to add up to what that lady did for me, until now.

My daughter is now 12 years old and the proud smile on her face when the
Ghazanfars came to my work and thanked me was priceless. The beautiful
ring or value thereof could never surpass the look in her eyes.

So to the Ghazanfars, I say thank you for your gift of kindness, sincere
appreciation, and the real life lesson of "paying it forward" my daughter
witnessed that day.

Moscow is truly a great community.

Lisa Spence, Moscow

May I suggest that Moscow, Idaho consider joining "Pay It Forward
Movement: Changing the World One Favor at a Time."

http://www.payitforwardmovement.org/

"Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give
without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without
meanness."

- George Sand