[Vision2020] Douglas Stambler: anyone heard from him lately?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun May 10 14:31:17 PDT 2009

I must admit that after responding to the initial query in search of
Douglas Stambler, I had this image of Stambler slowly disappearing into
the anonymous fabric of some large city in California (Los Angeles or San
Diego) . . . maybe he got lucky and found a home in Oakland or San
Francisco.

Based upon interactions with Stambler, here on the Viz, I was not very
impressed with him, and obviously -  nor him with me, which suited me
fine.

An "accomplished musician" (of sorts) were the two words down at the
bottom of a very long list of words I would use to describe Douglas
Stambler.

Yet, when I read the following passage, I was amazed and impressed of the
man that Douglas Stambler has become.

http://linescratchers.blogspot.com/2008/07/douglas-stambler.html

"Q: Your music is very diverse. It ranges from soulful acoustic songs to
world-influenced rap and jazz to surprisingly technical classical piano
songs and more. Do you have a favorite or a "fall-back" style?

A: When I play cover songs, I play sing-a-long songs that you might learn
at summer camp. So, that's my "fall-back" style. But I enjoy writing in
"God style," and that could mean my songs are going to sound totally new
to me and to those who hear them. For example, I wrote Springtime In
Moscow (classical) in Moscow, Idaho when I was there in 2002-2003. I kept
that piece alive without writing it down until one early evening, I
recorded that song on my keyboard. It came out very different from the way
I originally wrote it. So, I'm always ready for God to move me one way in
songwriting and quite another way when it comes to recording. It's all
jazz to me, and I am always playing my songs differently to keep the
inspiration and the feeling strong."

 I wish him continued success.  And if he were ever to return to
Vandalville, perhaps I should then seek him out and make my apologies
publicly on the Viz, as well as privately over a beer, and express my
amazement for becoming the Douglas Stambler we wanted to know back then.

I never thought that I would be making this introduction, but  . . .

Ladies and gentlemen of the Viz:

"Rattled" by Douglas Stambler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ-POhS3nXM

Seeya round town, Moscow (and hopefully, some day, Douglas Stambler).

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown