[Vision2020] Squirrelgate

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Wed May 6 12:59:24 PDT 2009

Westmount, Quebec, is a separate municipality within the boundaries
of the city of Montreal. It is inhabited principally by upper-class
English-speakers. I wouldn't be surprised if the squirrels don't
understand French either.

Ralph

Tom Hansen wrote:

Squirrelgate, perhaps the greatest scandal of our time.

Courtesy of the UPI at:

http://tinyurl.com/SquirrelGate

Bluesman fined $50 for feeding squirrel

MONTREAL, May 5 (UPI) -- A Montreal musician who, for more than two
years,
ignored a ticket for feeding a squirrel in a park documented the case
with
the release of "Squirrelgate."

The saga wound down Monday when a municipal court judge gave blues
musician Bruce Kert four months to pay a $50 fine for tossing a
peanut to
a squirrel in the borough of Westmount on Sept. 14, 2006, The Gazette
newspaper reported.

Westmount has the no-feeding bylaw to discourage the spread of vermin.

Kert, who is also a bicycle repairman, told the newspaper that
because he
missed several court dates, the original $40 fine had risen to $455. He
said he didn't know why it was reduced to $50 at Monday's hearing. He
also
complained he wasn't first given a warning by the public safety officer
who ticketed him, but the judge said that was irrelevant, the report
said.

Kert said he has since stopped feeding squirrels, but expresses his
frustration in the "Squirrelgate" song.