[Vision2020] "Hello Stranger, Put Your Lovin' Hand In Mine" Re: Immigration Discussion

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 14:57:23 PDT 2009

Emmylou Harris's version of "Hello Stranger" is one of my favorites, from
the studio album "Luxury Liner," sung with Nicolette Larson.  The song
captures a simple (it might seem simple, but is yet complex), profound and
compassionate wisdom of the heart, that seems quite relevant to
the discussion.  The lyrics come in different versions, but I listened
carefully to approximately, I hope, just maybe, get the lyrics mostly
correct below, given how the song is sung in the YouTube live version that
is available at the website lower down.  The final verse is absent from many
of the lyric listings for this song on the Internet, yet is contained in
this live version:

Hello Stranger

by A. P. Carter

Hello stranger
Put your loving hand in mine
You are a stranger
And you're a friend of mine

Get up, rounder
Let a working girl lay down
You are a rounder
And you're all out and down

Every time
I ride the four and six street cars
I can see my baby
Peeping through the bars

He bowed his head
And he waved both hands at me
He's prison bound
And longing to be free

I'll see you
When your troubles are like mine
Yes. I'll see you
When you haven't got a dime

Weeping like the willow
And mourning like the dove
Weeping like the willow
There's a country that I love

Below is a live "YouTube" version, Harris with the Nash Ramblers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beh9e2i1eaE

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett