[Vision2020] House Joint Memorial 3

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Mar 26 17:55:38 PDT 2009

House Joint Memorial 3 is listed as the first order of business on the
Idaho Senate's agenda for tomorrow (March 27, 2009).

What is House Joint Memorial 3 you ask?

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2009/HJM003.pdf

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
HOUSE JOINT MEMORIAL NO. 3
BY STATE AFFAIRS COMMITTEE

A JOINT MEMORIAL

TO THE SENATE AND HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE UNITED STATES
IN CONGRESS ASSEMBLED, AND TO THE CONGRESSIONAL DELEGATION
REPRESENTING THE STATE OF IDAHO IN THE CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES.

We, your Memorialists, the House of Representatives and the Senate of the
State of Idaho assembled in the First Regular Session of the Sixtieth
Idaho Legislature, do hereby respectfully represent that:

WHEREAS, the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution does not
simply provide for a collective right or a right for the states to
establish militias; rather it provides for the right of the people to keep
and bear arms; and

WHEREAS, the primary purpose of the right to keep and bear arms is to
protect one’s self, family and possessions from either the private
lawlessness of other persons or the tyranny of government; and

WHEREAS, the right to keep and bear arms is also meant to protect the
general private uses of firearms in activities such as hunting and other
sporting activities; and

WHEREAS, the United States Supreme Court in District of Columbia v.
Heller, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008), recently struck down a firearms ban in the
District of Columbia, explicitly ruling that the Second Amendment protects
the right of the people to possess firearms for private use; and

WHEREAS, despite this ruling, legislation has been introduced in the
United States House of Representatives calling for a system of mandatory
federal licensing of all firearm owners; and

WHEREAS, the legislation introduced would require all firearm owners to
apply for and carry a federally issued picture identification in order to
keep any firearm in their homes; and

WHEREAS, the legislation introduced would make it a federal crime to keep
a loaded firearm or an unloaded firearm and ammunition within any premises
including, under certain circumstances, American homes where a child may
be present; and

WHEREAS, the legislation introduced specifically purports to preempt any
state or local law inconsistent with it; and

WHEREAS, the introduced legislation, Blair Holt’s Firearm Licensing and
Record of Sale Act of 2009, is a direct imposition on each American’s
individual right to keep and bear arms in their homes and for their
protection.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the members of the First Regular Session
of the Sixtieth Idaho Legislature, the House of Representatives and the
Senate concurring therein, that members of the United States Congress
cease and desist attempting to enact federal legislation impinging on the
individual right of every American to keep and bear arms in any manner.
Specifically, that members of Congress oppose the passage of the Firearm
Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009, and any similar legislation.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the Chief Clerk of the House of
Representatives be, and she is hereby authorized and directed to forward a
copy of this Memorial to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of
the House of Representatives of Congress, and the congressional delegation
representing the State of Idaho in the Congress of the United States.

Question for these self-proclaimed patriots:  Where were you when
President Bush was stripping "we, the people" of our first and fourth
amendment rights?

However, I do find myself in a bit of a dilemma.  While the Idaho Senate
is "debating" HJM 3, JFAC will be divvying out the annual allowances,
otherwise referred to as the annual budget.  And I most certainly would
like to record those proceedings.

I guess that I could record the HJM 3 proceedings with one computer and
record the JFAC proceedings with the other computer. But, then I would
have to put my morning comedy break (my morning visit to the Blight-Mind
blahg) on hold.

Stay tuned . . .

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Join us at The First Annual Intolerista Wingding, April 17th, featuring
Roy Zimmerman and Jeanne McHale.  For details go to . . .

http://www.MoscowCares.com/Wingding

Seeya
there.