[Vision2020] Josh Ritter to Play Rendezvous in the Park

Carl Westberg idahovandal1 at live.com
Tue Mar 17 17:02:58 PDT 2009

Here's a New York Times review from last spring of a concert that Moscow's own Josh Ritter performed in New York with classical violinist Hilary Hahn.   Carl Westberg Jr.
April 14, 2008
Music Review | Hilary Hahn and Josh Ritter

Performers Simpatico, but Parallel

By STEVE SMITH

	 “Good evening, I’m Hilary Hahn,” the singer-songwriter and guitarist Josh Ritter said from the stage of the Grace Rainey Rogers Auditorium at the Metropolitan Museum of Art
on Saturday. Scruffy and slightly rumpled despite his suit and tie, Mr.
Ritter didn’t try to disguise a sense of wonder at his surroundings.
“This is like storming the gates of irony,” he said.

At his side was Ms. Hahn, an accomplished classical violinist who
has recently made a concerted effort to reach new listeners in
nightclubs and bookstores that normally cater to indie-rock and folk
crowds. Here she reversed the concept, reasoning that a classical
audience might prove receptive to Mr. Ritter’s work. The
standing-room-only crowd seemed evenly divided between his admirers and
hers.

Too often, efforts to build bridges between classical and pop
audiences amount to dire musical hybrids that sell both genres short.
But Ms. Hahn chose her partner wisely. Mr. Ritter, a keen student of Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and Paul Simon,
combines erudition with abundant wit, mixing Peter and Paul of the
Gospels with Laurel and Hardy in the song “Girl in the War,” for
instance, without sounding pretentious.

For much of the evening the two traveled on parallel tracks, Mr.
Ritter’s original songs countered by Ms. Hahn’s compelling accounts of
solo works by Nielsen, Bach and Ysaye. Their paths crossed when Mr.
Ritter sang the folk ballad “The Last Rose of Summer” and Ms. Hahn
responded with Heinrich Ernst’s staggeringly virtuosic set of
variations on that song, and again when her performance of Ernst’s
fantasy on Schubert’s “Erlkönig” was followed by his “Oak Tree King,” a
savvy vernacular recasting.

When they dipped into each other’s territory, both proved fully
capable. Ms. Hahn improvised lovely solos during several of Mr.
Ritter’s songs. In an encore, Mr. Ritter cautioned classical guitarists
to note the exits before he accompanied Ms. Hahn in a movement from a
Paganini duet, which he read from a music stand. He needn’t have
worried: his instrumental skills were more than equal to the task.