[Vision2020] Walmart Gets Nod for Starting Work

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Thu Mar 12 13:02:06 PDT 2009

Thanks for your comments, Roger.

I want to clarify that I am not advocating no growth. I agree that growth is going to happen, change will occur. It's growth at any cost I see as the problem.

You're right, world human population has exploded. There are too many people using too many resources, and counting. Seeing development that happens in more populated areas gives me reason to think we really need to make sure we are growing in a way that is more sustainable, otherwise, things will get out of control. Precedence has already been set, and things will grow on their own accord if limits aren't placed on them. That could have bad consequences on us in the long run.

We have a finite planet, but we should be smart enough to not be overwhelmed at a future date, when we can be planning ahead instead.

I don't make a lot of money. I'm a farmer, after-all. We are frugal with how we spend our money, but the funny thing is, I feel incredibly rich. I guess for me it's not how much cash I have in the bank, or how much cheap stuff I can get my hands on, but the quality of life the Palouse affords. It really is something all the money can't buy. I'm not willing to let that be squandered by people who don't have Moscow's best interest at heart, in particular, Hawkins.

I think it behooves us all to think about this, as it's coming, and as responsible residents of the area, it seems like its our duty to make sure we don't grow beyond our means and adversely affect the businesses and residents already here who have a lot at stake.

gclev