[Vision2020] driving routes to boise/las vegas

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 11 14:07:41 PDT 2009

Hi Diane,

I drive Moscow to Boise frequently, as does a lot of my family. The best route is 95 to 55. But you must be careful. Drive during daylight hours, with the warmer hours during most of the day. I usualy start about 9:30 down the Lewiston Hill. It puts you in Boise before nightfall and minimizes the amount of ice and snow on the trip, and maximizes the amount of daylight.

I have driven Boise to Las Vegas several times as a truck driver. The safest way is to take the freeway through Utah. It is longer, but if you breakdown there are lots of areas of help, and the freeway is well maintained. Utah is very good about laying down the salt on their roads after a snowstorm.

It is faster to go straight through Nevada. However, keep in mind that if you have trouble in the desert there is less help, your cell phone doesn't work as well either. You are also more likely to have a mechanical failure with your car. You also have to plan your trip better because there are many hours without gas, food, or any services. In addition, many people on the road in the middle of Nevada are not safe and solber drivers.
Basically, an inexperience driver in a less reliable car should take Utah to Las Vegas. But an experienced driver in a reliable car is fine driving through Nevada. Keep in mind too, a lower profile vechile is easier to drive in South Idaho, Utah, and Nevada, because the open plains and strong winds push box vechiles and trailers, sometimes completely over in bad storms. So bascially, commericial vehicles, vans, and mobile homes can have a harder time than low centered heavy cars.

One other point. It takes about 12-13 hours to drive from Boise to Las Vegas. It is unsafe to drive more than 11 hours in one day. So I would suggest the hours be split between two drivers. Driving in Las Vegas, regardless of the time of day, can be taxing on a tired driver not use to lots of lights and traffic. Be safe and have fun.

Best Regards,

Donovan