[Vision2020] Walmart Gets Nod for Starting Work

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Tue Mar 10 21:39:44 PDT 2009

g writes:

"Seriously, are you actually suggesting that it would be better that life long residents of the area leave rather than you having to endure a minor change to the little paradise that you and only you have managed to discover?"

Perhaps my statement is a bit facetious, but I doubt I'm the only one who wants Moscow to not grow like everywhere else. I doubt I'm the only one who doesn't want to misuse resources, and grow at any cost. I'm fairly certain there are people who have lived here longer than you who understand what I mean. Does their opinion count less than yours?

My conservative view is to leave well enough alone. Yes, this area is unique, and will only become less so if it's allowed to be taken over by strip malls and walmarts.

I don't want the corridor to become filled with strip malls. That's not my decision to make, but I am opposed to Moscow selling water and sewer services to Hawkins to facilitate an out of state predatory development twice the size of the palouse empire mall, and that may take 1 to 2% of Moscow's water. I have a right as constituent of Moscow to state my case.

Hawkins is not a local developer. The stores in that mall more than likely won't be local stores. I don't consider them to have any more right to decide to build as I have a right to state my opinion.

Of course businesses should come to Moscow. I don't have a list of stores I'm strictly against operating here, but when you're talking about Hawkins specifically, or super walmarts, it seems to me we really should consider the affects they are going to have.

I'm not sure if there's a certain amount of time you consider before you let us outsiders in to your priveleged place of being the deciders, but I've been on the Palouse since 1991 and loved Moscow from that day. I moved to Moscow in 1997, bought a house in 1999, and plan to stay here a long time to raise my kids. So, like it or not, you'll have to get used to those of us who have just as much right to voice their views.

The real natives were kicked out to the reservations, anyways, so if you really think your argument is sensible, go ask the Nez Perce how they feel about what we're doing to their original homeland. That was growth at any cost, too, and not much different philosophically than promoting businesses that rely on exploitation of other countries to get the cheap goods we so richly deserve. Living beyond our means, to hell with the poor people left to pay.

The Nez Perce weren't given a choice to stay. They were made to leave the Palouse, to make way for the American dream...

gclev