[Vision2020] Obama to Rescind Conscience Rule

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 20:33:53 PST 2009

g. crabtree wrote:
> The question  that everyone continues to not answer is since when does
> earning an M.D.  or entering the health care field automatically mean
> you must perform or facilitate abortions on demand?
>
> I get the impression from comments you have made on this forum that
> you are a computer/internet "guy" Should you, assuming you would be
> otherwise disinclined, be forced to create web sites for
> Scientologists, pedophiles, or purveyors of porn?

I am a computer guy.  I would design web sites for Scientologists,
assuming they were not having me do something I objected to, like
sending spurious DMCA cease and desists letters or something similar.  I
would also design websites for porn sites if the sites in question were
legal, had age restrictions, and weren't doing something objectionable
like trying to force malware on the users.  I believe in freedom of
speech, and don't have to agree with these topics to create web pages
for them.  I would draw the line at pedophile web pages though, even if
they lived in some kind of grey area of legality.  In that case or if
any of the above situations happened, I'd go find myself another job.  I
would probably not stay and design web pages for Scientologists and/or
pornographers for very long, though.  I'd look for something more
rewarding.  I might do it for a while just to make a point to myself
about freedom of speech.

And to answer your question: no - I don't think that earning an M.D.
automatically means you must perform abortions, except possibly where
the life of the patient is at stake.  Not every place performs
abortions, and physicians have the ability to "shop around" when looking
for jobs.  I would expect, though, that if the place at which I worked
did perform abortions and I was a physician on staff, I might get the
duty some day.  If I disagreed, I could hit the pavement.

I have no problems with people making stands on principles.  Who says
they have to be coddled while doing so?

Paul