[Vision2020] Mother, Teen Arrested After School Fight

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Mar 3 08:40:12 PST 2009

Courtesy of the Anchorage Daily News at:

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/crime/story/708476.html

Mother, teen arrested after school fight
Girls' parents join tussle on Bartlett High grounds

By MEGAN HOLLAND

A mother and her teenage daughter were charged with assault at Bartlett
High School after a long-standing feud involving girls boiled over on
campus and ended with one mother having her hair grabbed by an assistant
principal and another mother punching out a teen, according to police.

Monique Willis-May, 41, and her daughter were charged with misdemeanor
assault Friday afternoon after the fracas involving the kids and adults
broke out in the gym of the east-side school.

Officials with the Anchorage School District would not talk about what
happened.

According to police reports, though, Willis-May walked into a math class
and confronted a 17-year-old for allegedly harassing her daughter. The
woman and the teen got into it again after school. Then the teen's mother
showed up and the punching started.

The other mother, Susan Tillmon, who wasn't charged, filed for and was
granted protective orders over the weekend against Willis-May, her
daughter, and two of her sons, according to court records. Tillmon's
lawyer, John Pharr, said she is considering a lawsuit against the School
District, contending officials did not protect her daughter.

Tillmon's daughter suffered a bruised face in the scuffle, including
swelling below her eye the size of a golf ball.

According to the mothers involved in the fight -- both of whom blame the
other and the other's daughter for instigating it -- Bartlett High
security measures failed.

Willis-May, in a phone interview Monday, said the tussle between the girls
started in October. Her version is that several girls were bullying her
daughter, over what, though, she didn't know. She spoke to authorities at
Bartlett, which has about 1,700 students, but they didn't do anything to
separate the one-time friends, she said.

Tillmon's version, also related in a phone interview, is that whatever
issue the girls had between them it didn't get physical until Willis-May
showed up on Friday at the high school. Tillmon says her daughter, on
Friday, went to teachers and administrators multiple times trying to get
help after Willis-May threatened her.

She wants to know why Willis-May wasn't immediately escorted out of the
building and told not to come back.

The district's head of high school education, Mike Henry, said the school
is still trying to figure what happened. He said, though, he can't recall
the last time a parent assaulted a student in an Anchorage high school.

Willis-May said she showed up at the school on Friday because there had
been more bullying at a basketball game the night before. "I was just at
my wit's end with it," she said.

Tillmon showed up at the school because her daughter phoned her for help,
she said. "She was scared for her life. She says, 'Mom, they are going to
kill me. You don't understand what I'm going through. They're harassing
me. I can't take this, Mom.' "

In front of about 30 people in the gym, the brawl started.

Willis-May said: "The lady cursed me from A to Z. Very disrespectful. She
was walking back and forth in the gym, taunting my daughter, calling her
names, telling her she was scary."

According to Tillmon, it went more like this: She arrived at the gym to
escort her daughter to the principal's office when Willis-May stepped in
front of her. "She starts in my face, rolling her neck. 'I'm going to kick
your a--.' "

Willis-May's daughter took the first swing, according to the police
report. She struck Tillmon's daughter.

The sequence isn't clear but somehow, according to the police: Tillmon
jumped into the fray and onto the back of Willis-May's daughter to get her
off her own daughter and the three began sliding all over the floor;
Willis-May threw one female student who tried to break up the fight
against a vending machine and socked her in the mouth, leaving her with a
split lip; and assistant principal Mike Doody tried to break it up by
dragging Tillmon out of the ruckus by her hair.

Tillmon was uninjured except for a small cut, she said.

Willis-May was uninjured except for a broken nail on her right pinkie,
according to the police report.

Police cited and released Willis-May and her daughter at the high school.

"Parents need to work through the School District to resolve problems with
their kids," said police Lt. Dave Parker. "To get mom and dad or moms
involved, then it just escalates. ... The fairest thing they can do for
their kids is to teach them how to work through the problems."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman