[Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Mon Mar 2 16:55:53 PST 2009

Joe writes:

"One question: from a policy point of view is it better to treat drug abuse as a crime or an illness. Both cost money but where should the money be spent?"

Another question is: what money? Since it seems we're digging ever deeper into debt, the bigger crime is the fact that we're willing to pass on that debt to our children in order to keep the addiction to our lifestyle going!

That's an irony if there ever were one. If we really want to teach our children to be responsible, we'd be teaching by example, not by double standards: alcohol, tobacco and caffeine are legal drugs, but weed, coke and all the others are not. Some addictions are acceptable, some are not. Killing people is good if the US does it, but not if the "enemy" (terrorists or drugs) does it. etc, etc, etc

Seriously, though, drug abuse is an illness, selling illegal drugs is a crime. Sentence the criminals as necessary, treat the illness if possible.

gclev