[Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 2 14:33:43 PST 2009

Garrett,

First, there is HUGE difference between alcohol and cocaine. So comparing them is ridiculous. I think you know that. The effects of alcohol are devastating, but not equal to that of cocaine.

Prohibition had a really bad side effect. However, anyone that said the prohibition didn't work in reducing consumption, is incorrect. It did work in seriously reducing the alcohol consumption.

At the time, our society could hardly function. Woman and children were getting beat to a bloody pulp. Men were unemployable. We had an epidemic in the streets of alcoholism. Something had to be done to slow down the alcoholism illness plaguing US society. Remember, we even had totally drunk presidents, governors, and police officers. It was simply scary for many people.

The side problems was that we created organized crime networks that were also violent. The later legalization came with greater regulation. I think this works to a degree. And might work for something like marijuana, but not cocaine.

Best Regards,

Donovan