[Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Mar 2 05:32:55 PST 2009

No more than alcohol, Arnold.

If you check out your history books, you will find that the bad guys made
BIG duckets ($) from the illegal transport and sale of alcohol.  The 18th
Amendment (you know?  That one that done did away with the Prohibition)
got rid of them there speak-easies and illegal taverns, thusly making it
legal to transport, sell, and consume alcohol.  But only if you were above
a certain age and that the alkeehall that you done drunk was previously
taxed (along with a whole bunch of other rules that fit snuggly under the
gubmint label of "regulation").

Now, what's this about lowering the drinking age to 18?  Instead of 18
year-olds copping phoney IDs, you'll have 15 year-olds copping phoney IDs.

Cheers, Moscow.

Tom "who's still tryin' to pass himself off as 21" Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

> Tom,
>
> What makes you think that our government would be successful in its
regulat> ion of drugs if it were to make them legal? What liability would
our
govern> ment have if it said it was OK to use cocaine, heroin, or meth?
How would
y> ou make sure its increased availability would be kept out of the hands
of
y> outh?

> What sort of influence do you think producers of exotic, expensive, and
hig> hly addictive drugs would have on our legal system, legislature, and
member> s of congress if they were legal?

> Best Regards,
>
> Donovan

Although>
> [...]
be
> di> fferent, effective, and reduce the number of users of cocaine users
> fro> m less than 1% to a minuscule number of the population?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Donovan
> >
> > --- On Sun, 3/1/09, Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com>
> wrot> e:
> > From: Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush
> > To: "vision 2020" <vision2020 at moscow.com>
> > Date: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 5:04 PM
> >

> > Donovan,
> >
> > I disagree.
> >
> > Our drug laws stand as a monument to our official inability to
recognize>
> > simple truth about people: That we (not all us us, but enough) like to
> us> e substances that affect our consciousness.  Some religions ban this,
> man> y states do, but people still want to do it.
> >
> > We are spending a ridiculous amount of money fighting human nature, and
> i> t isn't working. Because it's illegal it's more expensive,
> and there's
> en> ough money in it to make people take enormous risks.
> >
> > It's long been time to take a different approach. Our current one is a
> fail> ure.
> >
> > Sunil
> >
> > Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:44:15 -0800
> > From: donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
> > Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush
> > To: sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
> >
> > Sunil,
> >
> > I agree with you that we need to help people with their problems and
not
> us> e drugs as a solution, I think you are wrong on the supply side.
> >
> > The fact that the drug dealers are having to smuggle the cocaine over
the
> b> oarder, is very indicative that the American people have rejected this
> pr> oduct. We have spent billions on stopping it, and it is illegal in
> every
> > state and county in the country. That seems like a pretty overwhelming
> reje> ction of the drug. Less than one percent of the population uses
it.>

> > The demand was created by "pushers" illegally as well, and the
> illegal
> an> d dangerous addictiveness of the product is what also keeps the
> demand. We
> > didn't create the demand, the demand was created for us.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Donovan
> >

> > --- On Sun, 3/1/09, Sunil Ramalingam
> >  <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com>
> >  wrote:
> > From: Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush
> > To: "vision 2020" <vision2020 at moscow.com>
> > Date: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 8:48 AM
> >

> > Donovan,
> >
> > I think your premise is wrong.  No one is forcing drugs on Americans.
WE
> [...]
> wro> te:
> > From: Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush
> > To: "vision 2020" <vision2020 at moscow.com>
> > Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009, 3:07 PM
> >

> > Yes, Donovan, I missed the event when Central and South Americans
> attac> ked the biggest things in New York.
> >
> > 9/11, you say? My, that's one big cover-up if they were involved.
> >
> > At any rate, my question remains the same.  Do our actions give our
> victi> ms the right to bomb us?  If no, why not?
> >
> > Sunil
> >
> > Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:47:50 -0800
> > From: donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
> > Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush
> > To: vision2020 at moscow.com; sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
> >
> > Sunil
> >
> > They do blow "things" up here. In fact, they took out the two
> biggest
> thi> ngs in the biggest city. Perhaps you missed that
> >  whole 9/11 thingy.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Donovan
> >
> > --- On Fri, 2/27/09, Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com>
> wro> te:
> > From: Sunil Ramalingam <sunilramalingam at hotmail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush
> > To: "vision 2020" <vision2020 at moscow.com>
> > Date: Friday, February 27, 2009, 6:28 PM
> >

> > Donovan,
> >
> > Do the people we bomb have the right to try to blow up things here?  If
> not> , why?
> >
> > Sunil
> >
> > Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:07:14 -0800
> > From: donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
> > To: vision2020 at moscow.com; nickgier at roadrunner.com
> > Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush
> >
> > What Nick doesn't realize is that it isn't the government's
> responsibility
> > to keep people off drugs. That is the responsibility of the individual.
> Onl> y you can decide not to use drugs and take responsibility for your
> behavior>  and decisions to use or not use drugs, and what you put in
your>
> body.
> >
> > The government has made it clear to
> >  anyone who will listen from 5 years old to 105 years old, DON'T USE
> DRUG> S. That is all they can do. They provide information to people for
> free,
> > and they offer free drug counseling, and help with getting off drug
> addic> tion.
> >
> > I use to drink heavily, and smoke up to three packs of cigarettes a
> day> , and I will not talk about anything else I did because this is a
> public
> > forum. But it was me, and me alone, that had the power to decide to
> use>  and stop using products abusive to my body.
> >
> > People think it is
> >  the responsibility of the government to do things for you. It is not.
If
> [...]
> >  acreages of coca have been destroyed; the big cartels have been broken
> > up; left-wing guerrillas are in retreat; and the streets of Bogata are
> > safer.
> > But the coca farmers have simply switched to smaller plots closer to
the
> ju> ngle
> > and right-wing paramilitary units are still involved in cocaine
> production
> > and
> > smuggling.
> >
> > Nixon's war on drugs have turned entire nations against us.  Evo
> Morales,>  a
> > former coca grower, is now Bolivia's president.  At recent speech at
> the
> > UN,
> > Morales held up a coca leaf and spoke about a World Health Organization
> (WH> O)
> > study that concluded that the ingestion of coca was not harmful and
that>
> it
> > might even have some beneficial effects.  When I was in Peru in 2002,
my
> > guide
> > distributed coca leaves to our group as a remedy for altitude
sickness.>

> > In 1989 I chaired the Borah Symposium on the topic "Cocaine and
> > Conflict" and our
> >
> >  keynote speaker was Ethan
> >
> >  Nadelman. Now the head of
> >  the
> > Drug Policy Institute, he is a leading spokesman for drug
> legalization,>  which
> > means legal regulation, not total free use (except of marijuana) of
hard
> > drugs.
> >

> > Proponents of legal regulation contend that removing the illegal trade
> and
> > criminal gangs will have the same positive effect as the ending of
> Prohibit> ion
> > in 1933.  A $250-350 billion business would become a source for much
> needed>  tax
> > revenue that can be used to rebuild communities and rehabilitate those
> rela> tive
> > few who have been addicted to drugs.
> >
> > A 2007 Zogby Poll asked the following question of 1028 people: "If
> hard
> > drugs such as heroin or cocaine were legalized, would you be likely to
> us> e
> > them."  Only 6 answered in the affirmative.
> > There are over 250 shops in the Netherlands where one can buy marijuana
> > legally, but only 16 percent of the adult population has even tried
> >
> >  cannibals,
> > while 33 percent of
> >  Americans
> >  have.  One commentator
> >  quipped that the Dutch have
> > made smoking pot "uncool."
> >
> > Reading the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) website, one would
> thin> k that
> > liberalizing drug laws in Europe has been a complete failure. In
England