[Vision2020] Paul Harvey Dies at 90

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Mar 1 16:41:47 PST 2009

Courtesy of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer at

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/tvguide/401881_tvgif1.html

Radio Broadcasting Pioneer Paul Harvey Dies at 90

By MATT MITOVICH

Paul Harvey, the distinctly voiced news commentator whose radio career
spanned nearly 60 years, died on Saturday in Arizona, a spokesman for ABC
Radio Networks tells the Associated Press. He was 90.

A cause of death was not immediately available. Harvey's passing comes
less than a year after that of his wife and longtime producer, Lynne.

"My father and mother created from thin air what one day became radio and
television news," Paul Harvey Jr. said in a statement. "So in the past
year, an industry has lost its godparents and ... millions have lost a
friend."

Known for his staccato voice and trademark delivery of "The Rest of the
Story" (a feature through which he anecdotally recalled the lives of
famous folk), Harvey's career as a nationally broadcast radio man begin
1951, when he launched his "News and Comment" program on ABC Radio
Networks.

In 1970, Harvey famously reversed his stance on the Vietnam War,
broadcasting this message to Richard M. Nixon: "Mr. President, I love
you ... but you're wrong [to expand the war]." Harvey's urging of the
president to pull out of Vietnam elicited an onslaught of letters and
phone calls, including one from the White House.

At the peak of his career, Harvey reached more than 24 million listeners
on more than 1,200 radio stations, and his syndicated column was carried
by 300 newspapers. In 2000, he signed a new 10-year contract with ABC
Radio Networks. He was forced off the airwaves briefly in 2001 by a
virally weakened vocal cord.

"Paul Harvey was one of the most gifted and beloved broadcasters in our
nation's history," ABC Radio Networks President Jim Robinson said in a
statement. "[We] were so fortunate to have known him."

Among many accolades, Harvey received the presidential Medal of Freedom
and was an inductee in the Radio Hall of Fame.

And now, we sadly know the rest of Tulsa, Oklahoma-born Paul Harvey
Aurandt's story. Good day, sir.

Tribute by the Associated Press
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wl2LfMVJxw

Paul Harvey's Tribute to Genocide and Slavery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj4JMlDfYOQ

Paul Harvey's "Letter From God"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYEFkYtANVg

An Episode from Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRr9uYtIatY

"You Can't Come Inside" By Paul Harvey [The Rest of the Story]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSkEfwFQ2U

Rest well, Paul Harvey.

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always
been times like these."

- Paul
Harvey