[Vision2020] Public Smoking

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 22 21:07:45 PDT 2009

Saundra and others,

Your first point is good and well intended, however, for clarification, my point was that if people are willing to drive to Moscow to smoke and drink from Pullman, they may drive to Troy or elsewhere to do the same.  Will those who attend church service, as I like to call it, in outlying towns in order to drink and smoke in the same chair be drunk 100% of the time, no.  However, the possibility and risk for impaired driving are still there.

I would like to research how many people drive from Pullman to Moscow to smoke and drink right now given the state law circumstances in Washington.  I would assume not many.  The comparison to drinking age from years ago is somewhat relevant, however, I would bet drinking age would have more influence on where a person consumes alcohol when compared to smoking and drinking indoors.  In my opinion, a person will more likely travel over state lines to drink at a younger age than travel over state lines to drink and smoke indoors.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but you can still smoke on outdoor bar patios in Washington?  I could be wrong however.

Has business really increased in Moscow due to the ban of tobacco smoking in Washington?  Lets see some hard data and numbers on this to convince me.  Have the number of DUI traffic stops increased between Pullman and Moscow since the Washington ban?  How about the number of arrests of Pullman or Washington residents in Moscow due to factors related to alcohol use, fighting, drunk in public, public urination, DUI, etc?

Also, keep in mind that Idaho has already banned smoking in restaurants in Idaho.  Ask the restaurant owners how that has affected their businesses.  My assumption, and I could be making an ass of myself, is that business decreased initially and then began to increase over time.  Obviously my assumed increase in business is pre financial meltdown.

Tim

P.S. I spent literally thousands of dollars at John's Alley over a four year period and never once complained to Vert or anyone else about the smoke.  However, I was usually inebriated from numerous PBR beers so the smoke really did not bother me.  When I was sober though, I noticed it a lot more.  Plus, it seems as though Vertical Dave and the rest of the Alley crew worked to cut down the smoke by installing air scrubbers and fans, that seemed to help some.

" 'Politics is the art of controlling your environment.' That is one of the key things I learned in these years, and I learned it the hard way. Anybody who thinks that 'it doesn't matter who's President' has never been Drafted and sent off to fight and die in a vicious, stupid War on the other side of the World -- or been beaten and gassed by Police for trespassing on public property -- or been hounded by the IRS for purely political reasons -- or locked up in the Cook County Jail with a broken nose and no phone access and twelve perverts wanting to stomp your ass in the shower. That is when it matters who is President or Governor or Police Chief. That is when you will wish you had voted." - Hunter S. Thompson