[Vision2020] US Surgeon General's Report on Second Hand Smoke: Economic Impact of Smokefree Bars

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 00:23:20 PDT 2009

Regulation of drugs is a matter of degree, practicality and civil rights.
How far should government go to regulate substance use/sale/abuse, based on
the degree of damage to society; are the regulations or laws practical to
enforce, or too restrictive of civil rights?

Some of the arguments in this discussion objecting to merely restricting
tobacco exposure to workers and the public in bars, could be extended to
advocate for partial or total decriminalization of many drugs now illegal.
Yet I suspect that if these arguments were applied to legalization of
illegal drugs, some of the same writers objecting to regulation for
smokefree bars would be insisting that the damage to society from other
drugs was too great to risk legalization.  And how great is the damage to
society from tobacco abuse/addiction?

Some of the laws criminalizing drugs are an exaggerated reaction to the
dangers of the drugs, are not very enforceable, impose huge taxpayer costs,
and have eroded civil rights.  Prohibition of alcohol was a stellar
example.  But consider there is no advocacy of criminalizing tobacco use for
adults.  A smoker can simply step outside the bar to smoke.  They can buy
tobacco and smoke at home.  They can form a private smoking drinking club
and drink and smoke at will.

Does regulation of tobacco smoke in bars pass the three tests I mentioned;
dangers to society, practicality and civil rights?
The impact on stopping tobacco smoking overall from a regulation on
smokefree bars is probably minimal, but workers rights for safe and healthy
workplaces would be encouraged, and the public would not be as exposed to
second hand smoke indoors, which concentrates the smoke.  Given the dangers
and health risks of tobacco, encouraging workers rights to not be exposed
appears reasonable.  This experiment conducted in other states has worked
well, for the most part, given what I have read, so it appears to be
enforceable and practical.  Many bars now smokefree are still in business.
I don't see any major civil rights issue in restricting tobacco smoke in
bars.  If tobacco use was criminalized, and SWAT teams were breaking down
the doors of homes to taser, handcuff and frog march citizens to prison for
tobacco possession, sales or manufacture, as occurs with certain other
criminalized drugs that do less damage to society than tobacco, then
discussion of civil rights violations regarding tobacco would be indicated.
Violations of civil rights associated with tobacco issues are not high on
ACLU's priority list.

You mention outlawing bars due to problems with alcohol use, and "Where was
the hue and cry over stopping bars from the selling alcohol?" after someone
was run over locally apparently while inebriated.  Of course, this is a
distraction from the issue of guaranteeing workers health and safety
protections on the job.  Maybe outlawing bars would lower alcohol abuse
problems, maybe not.  The evidence from Prohibition indicates not.
Speakeasys were common. And of course, tobacco users/addicts who smoked at
bars will smoke elsewhere if no smoking bar is available, or smoke outside
the smokefree bar between drinks.  Smokefree bars will not stop tobacco use
or addiction.  Smokefree bar regulation protects workers from unwilling
exposure to an addictive drug.  You'd have to find a parallel with a worker
unwillingly exposed to alcohol on the job, for an analogous case.  And I
would object to that, also.

Speaking of Prohibition, I think totally criminalizing tobacco would result
in a similar impractical outcome.  But the smokefree bar regulations in
other states are now working for the most part with many finding this a
positive development.  I suppose the main opponents are mostly tobacco
addicts and the tobacco corporations.

You cannot truthfully, if comparing the social costs of tobacco use to
alcohol use, "throw out just as many statistics on why bars should be closed
because of alcohol," because the data clearly reveals that tobacco use
prematurely kills far more people than alcohol use, including deaths from
drunk driving, violent deaths associated with those committing violent crime
under the influence of alcohol, and the medically related deaths from
alcohol abuse (cirrhosis of the liver, etc.)  Tobacco is the number one
cause of premature death.

It has been repeated over and over that workers who do not want to be
exposed to cigarette smoke in bars can simply work elsewhere.  In an economy
with the high unemployment rate, many workers have to take whatever job they
can get, whether they like it or not, so the level of freedom of choice that
is implied in this argument is not realistic.  And even if it was true that
jobs were abundant and job choice always possible, why should profit making
businesses be permitted to encourage the drug addiction of tobacco addicts
by exposing workers to the drug they are addicted to, on the job, while they
breathe?  Shouldn't workplaces be encouraging a healthy work environment?
Those with substance abuse problems should be encouraged to get treatment,
correct?  Not given more drugs to continue their addiction?  Well, except in
the cases like methadone treatment for heroin addicts, or nicotine patches
for tobacco addicts, which are types of treatment.

It seems smoking tobacco has attained a level of unconscious acceptance of
its normalcy in society that people have blind spots regarding how
incredible it is to fill the air of a business catering to the public with
an addictive drug imposing dangerous health risks to the workers.  Of course
jobs have hazards that are known by workers where they work.  But worker
safety and health laws should be making progress when practical to improve
worker conditions.  Or are some going to advocate that OSHA be eliminated?
Some of the arguments in this discussion are aimed in that direction, it
seems.

It has been claimed that if tobacco use in bars is restricted, next red meat
and fatty foods at restaurants may be outlawed, due to association with
health problems, heart disease, obesity.  As if to say, we are on a slippery
slope that will result in Big Brother running everything in our lives. For
one thing, red meat and fatty foods are not addictive drugs.  Secondly,
workers at restaurants are not forced to consume the red meat or fatty foods
the customers are eating.  And lean red meat eaten in moderation can be a
part of a healthy diet.  I don't think anyone needs to worry that Haagen
Dazs ice cream or McDonald's double cheese burgers are going to be outlawed,
because of smokefree bar regulations.

Tobacco has often been given a pass regarding sensible regulations and laws
impacting its sale and manufacture (tobacco companies manipulated nicotine
levels in tobacco to increase addictive potential, for example), and
protections of worker and public health regarding exposure to tobacco smoke
(but efforts are underway, which may or may not be effective:
http://www.examiner.com/x-7812-DC-SCOTUS-Examiner~y2009m6d11-Senate-passes-FDA-tobacco-regulation-bill-Obama-will-sign-it
).
Tobacco addiction/abuse kills more people prematurely (I keep repeating this
fact because no one else in this discussion is) than any other cause.  While
numerous other drugs are criminalized as a horrific menace to society, the
sale, possession or manufacture of of which deserve long prisons sentences,
ruining peoples lives and costing taxpayers millions for prisons,
tobacco smoking in bars and use in general is sometimes defended as though
it is a sacred civil right guaranteed in the US Constitution.  As we have a
"War on Drugs" the drug killing more people prematurely than any other drug
by far remains legal for adults and ubiquitous, with underage use common,
and legal penalties for underage sales minimal.  You can buy it at your
local grocery store, with your eggs, milk and bread.  Bizarre!

Ted Moffett