[Vision2020] Public smoking

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 20 11:15:28 PDT 2009

Tom and others,

Back in 2004, the State Legislature passed the Idaho Clean Indoor Air Act banning smoking in all public buildings with the exception of bars and bowling alleys.  In 2007 or 2008 I believe, bowling alleys were successfully added to the list of establishments that do not allow smoking.  At the time of the proposed bowling alley addition, I was spending a lot of time with my students at 20th Century Lanes in Boise teaching a bowling unit in my Lifetime Sports classes.  During this time, I got to know the bowling alley owners quite well and discussed at length with them the proposed change to Idaho Code to include bowling alleys.  At the time, the business owners were very scared of losing all of their customers and closing up shop.  Now, that the ban has been implemented and people are forced to smoke either outside or in a self contained, seperate ventilated bar area, the bowling business is booming.  There was a newspaper article in the Idaho Statesman some time after the smoking ban took effect and numerous bowling alley owners said that their business had increased due to the ban because families were reurning to bowl now that smoking is gone.

Anyway, this link should direct you to Idaho Code concerning the Clean Indoor Air Act and its ammendments.  I could not find the Idaho Statesman article in the archives, maybe Tom will search it out for people to read.

http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title39/T39CH55.htm

I do know this much, I nearly always refuse to go to a bar that allows smoking in Boise.  Pengilly's Saloon and The Boquet are two of the growing number of bars in Boise that ban smoking.  Both of those establishments are packed with smokers and non smokers alike.  The smokers just head outside and smoke when they have cravings.

Tim

P.S. Phil Roderick, I don't think any bars have closed in Boise, in fact I would suggest the opposite has occured.  In the last year, Liquid, Bad Irish, HiJinx, Gusto, and many other new bars have opened up shop in Boise.

" 'Politics is the art of controlling your environment.' That is one of the key things I learned in these years, and I learned it the hard way. Anybody who thinks that 'it doesn't matter who's President' has never been Drafted and sent off to fight and die in a vicious, stupid War on the other side of the World -- or been beaten and gassed by Police for trespassing on public property -- or been hounded by the IRS for purely political reasons -- or locked up in the Cook County Jail with a broken nose and no phone access and twelve perverts wanting to stomp your ass in the shower. That is when it matters who is President or Governor or Police Chief. That is when you will wish you had voted." - Hunter S. Thompson