[Vision2020] Public smoking

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 03:09:27 PDT 2009

Yes.

I mentioned in another post that Brink Hall at the U of I (and this is
applied to other U of I buildings) has a policy where smoking should be
conducted a given number of feet away from an entrance.  And of course there
is no smoking allowed inside the building:

http://www.uihome.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=84874

A. *General*. The university recognizes that (1) health hazards are
associated with using tobacco products, (2) exposure to secondhand smoke can
adversely affect the heath of nonsmokers, (3) exposure to tobacco smoke can
be unpleasant and distracting for nonsmokers, (4) smoking can ignite fires,
and (5) smoking can transfer toxic materials from hand to mouth. This
section outlines applicable state law and UI policy with regard to smoking.

A-1. *Regulatory Requirements*. State of Idaho Executive Order No. 2000-01,
Establishment of Non-Smoking Policy in State Buildings, directs that:

All state-owned or state-leased buildings, facilities, or areas occupied by
state employees shall be designated as “non-smoking” except for custodial
care and full-time residential facilities. The policy governing custodial
care and full-time residential facilities may be determined by the directors
of such facilities.

B. *Buildings, Facilities, Areas Occupied by State Employees*.

B-1. *No Smoking*. Except as stated in B-2, smoking of any tobacco product
including cigarettes, cigars, and pipes or any other product producing smoke
is prohibited in all state-owned or state-leased buildings, facilities,
vehicles, or areas occupied by state employees.

B-2. *Exception*. Smoking is permitted in full-time residential facilities
owned or leased by UI in accordance with the rules established by the
Director of University Residences. .

B-3. *Outside Smoking Locations*. Smoking is prohibited within 25 feet, or
at a distance determined by the Director of Environmental Health and Safety,
in areas where smoke will be drawn into and affect the air inside buildings,
such as at entrance, exits, building openings, open windows, air
conditioners, or air-supply intakes.

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett