[Vision2020] More Banning?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:02:33 PDT 2009

New York City has banned tobacco smoking in bars and restaurants.  There
have been some negative consequences, but New York still has a night life
for drinkers:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-07-01-smoking-usat_x.htm

>From website above:

New York City is still coming to terms with smoke-free night life three
months after a ban went into effect outlawing smoking in virtually all
workplaces, including restaurants and bars.

Five states — New York, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine and California — have
passed similar smoking restrictions that include bars and taverns. New York
state's ban, which echoes the city's anti-smoking law, goes into effect July
24.
------------------------
I am in favor of banning tobacco smoking in bars (and workplaces).  Keeping
bars smoke free is a benefit to the workers in these businesses who need the
jobs yet are exposed to second hand smoke.  The workers in bars are not
forced to drink the drinks the customers order; yet they must breathe the
air polluted by customers smoking.  Furthermore, the damage to peoples lives
and society from tobacco abuse/addiction (the single largest cause of
premature death) is so huge that laws blocking smoking tobacco in what are
publicly oriented businesses (even if privately owned) is reasonable, if
practical.  I would not support criminalizing tobacco. Any adult wishing to
smoke in their homes or on their property should be free to do so (but not
to expose children to second hand smoke, of course).  But a ban on smoking
in bars (and on all advertising) would limit encouragement of tobacco use.
If someone wants to form a private smoking/drinking "club" on private
property, they should be free to do so.  Just don't expect workers who need
jobs to have to breathe second hand smoke for a paycheck.

Ted Moffett