[Vision2020] Sotomayor: US Supreme Court's Sixth Catholic?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 10 19:15:45 PDT 2009

Ted Moffett wrote:
> On 6/5/09, *Paul Rumelhart* <godshatter at yahoo.com
> <mailto:godshatter at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>

>     I used to speculate wildly about whether or not our former
>     President was
>     really a believer or if he was blatantly manipulating the religious
>     right through their own predilictions (or both).  What it comes
>     down to
>     is this: we can't look into their hearts.  Sotomayor may be the most
>     devout Catholic evar, but doesn't outwardly show it on a day-to-day
>     basis.  For all I know, she goes to church three times a week just to
>     get away from her family.  We just can't know.
>

> Why do you state "we just can't know" about Sotomayor's regularity of
> church attendance?

Rereading that, I see I wasn't very clear.  I'm not saying "we just
can't know" about her regularity of church attendance.  I'm saying "we
just can't know" what's in her heart, what she actually believes deep
down inside.  The most regular church attender might be a closet
Luciferan Satanist, people who never go to church may be extremely
spiritual Christians.  We can speculate wildly about what they actually
believe.  We can even read what they claim to believe, but we'll never
know exactly what they actually believe, because we can't get inside
their heads or their hearts.

At the time I wrote it, I didn't know how often she attended church, so
I covered both sides of the spectrum.  My point still stands - we can't
look into her heart so we can't know for certain if she's a "true
believer" or not.

Paul