[Vision2020] Extreme Heat: Northwest to Southeast Alaska: Was: El Nino (ENSO) Announced July 9: Northwest Climate Shift

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 12:03:55 PDT 2009

http://www.accuweather.com/mt-news-blogs.asp?partner=accuweather&blog=Clark&pgurl=/mtweb/content/Clark/archives/2009/07/extreme_heat_from_the_northwest_to_southeast_alaska.asp

>From website above:

I am back from a really wonderful vacation where I cruised through the
Inside Passage of Alaska for seven days. It's my second trip to this area
and I am always in awe of the beauty. It was typically cool and cloudy for
most of the trip, except the last day when we stopped in Victoria, B.C.

One of the reasons I mention this is to contrast the weather I experienced
to the weather this week from southeastern Alaska south through western
Washington and Oregon. A large dome of unseasonably hot air is building and
dominates the weather at least the next few days. Record high temperatures
are likely to fall in many places, especially in the Pacific Northwest,
where temperatures will easily climb to as high as 104 to 109 Tuesday and
Wednesday in the hottest places. Even in typically cool and cloudy
southeastern Alaska, places like Juneau and Ketchikan will break 80 with
some places just inland rising well into the 80s. Vancouver, B.C., will be
near 90 and certainly areas just inland will be above 90.

The temperatures in southeastern Alaska do not look that hot to the casual
observer. However, the average high this time of year is only the middle 60s
and last week it was in the upper 50s. With temperatures rising well into
the 70s and 80s, streams and rivers will likely see rapid rises and fast
flows due to the rapid melting of still existing snow in the higher
mountains and also from glacier melt.

The heat in the Pacific Northwest will be at dangerous levels since air
conditioning is no common in many houses. It will also be hot in the
interior Northwest, but in these areas, temperatures will not be nearly as
far above average as coastal areas will be.

Here are some expected high temperatures through Thursday for select cities.

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett