[Vision2020] Choices

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 24 21:41:21 PDT 2009

Gary,

It's incorrect for any of us to pretend that a gay couple that finds someone to marry them enjoys the same rights that you or I do as married heterosexuals.  You want to deny the state's recognition to them, which denies them rights that are automatically accorded to us.

Yes, they can go to a lawyer and pay that person to draft legal documents that accomplish for them what is automatic for us.  Now you and your wife have chosen to have a lawyer draft your wills, as did my wife and I.  But without that step Idaho still has a system that would ensure that your wife and child/children would inherit your property.  No such default system exists for gays in Idaho who want to marry.

Because you insist on denying state recognition for their relationships, you force gays to spend money that they would not otherwise have to spend, just to try to approach enjoying the same rights we have.

I can't see how my marriage is diminished by allowing gays to marry.  I happen to agree with you on the smoking ban, but in that case, non-smokers actually do suffer harm from second-hand smoke.  I am not afraid of the effect on my marriage of 'second-hand gayness.'

But I certainly have no reasons to cast aspersions on your marriage.  33 years?  Good for both of you, and congratulations, and I mean that.

Sunil