[Vision2020] Indoor Air Quality

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Tue Jul 21 18:12:03 PDT 2009

My point is government regulates nuisances. Second hand smoke is a nuisance. It is noxious. It's poison. Businesses should not be allowed to expose people to it, and other noxious compounds, unreasonably.

It's an epic struggle trying to regulate businesses. They want the right to do whatever. The people they affect want protection. Regulating smoking is no different than regulating any other crap a business produces as a by-product of its profit.

Of course I have a right to not patronize these businesses. I also have the right to expect government to be consistent. If it can regulate what you see (boobies) and what you hear (that's up to a cop) it should regulate what you breath. This world would become an ashtray quicker than it would otherwise.

Free speech trumps the right of smokers. If we can have a draconian noise ordinance, we can have a smoking ban.

But my initial point was it's not about smoke, its about indoor air quality in general, and I would rather see those regulations than a smoking ban. I agree that, once again, the council didn't put time in to ensuring that this works for more people than it may now.

Take a deeeeep breath...
 Garrett Clevenger