[Vision2020] Idaho Governor Otter Asks US Energy Secretary Chu About the Future of Nuclear Energy

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 12:56:03 PDT 2009

Info on agreement regarding transport of nuclear waste in western states:

http://www.westgov.org/wga/press/nuclear6-14-09.htm

>From link above:

The agreement was signed during the WGA’s Annual Meeting here by Gov. Brian
Schweitzer, WGA’s new chairman; C.L. “Butch” Otter, incoming Vice Chairman;
and Steven Chu, Secretary of the U.S. Department of Energy. It expands upon
current efforts aimed at ensuring the safe and uneventful transportation of
nuclear materials.
-------------
Info on the future of nuclear energy discussed at Western Governors
Association Meeting:

http://neinuclearnotes.blogspot.com/2009/06/meet-governors-dr-chu-goes-west.html

>From link above:

In fact, Energy Secretary Steven Chu is visiting the Western Governors
Association <http://www.westgov.org/> annual
meeting<http://www.westgov.org/wga/meetings/am2009/index.htm>in Park
City Utah. It’s running from the 14th to the 16th, and you can watch
various sessions via streaming video.

The Governors have ideas about nuclear energy, as expressed in their
Resolution 09-1: Energy Policy, Renewable Energy and Transmission for the
West :

Nuclear energy currently provides 20 percent of the nation’s electricity and
10 percent of the electricity within the WGA states. Nuclear energy is a
baseload source of electricity and does not produce greenhouse gases, ozone,
haze, or mercury. For new nuclear power facilities to be built, a range of
issues associated with cost, safety, waste disposal, nonproliferation, and
natural resource requirements must be taken into consideration and properly
addressed.

And they’d really like those issues to find resolution, as indicated in this
report <http://kcpw.org/article/7954>:

http://kcpw.org/article/7954

Idaho Governor "Butch" Otter then asked Secretary Chu about the future of
nuclear energy, another technology that some are looking to develop in Utah.
Chu responded that nuclear energy has to be part of the nation's energy
future, and said the administration wants to revive the industry, after it
essentially came to a halt 30 years ago, when the Three Mile Island accident
occurred.
"We're trying to help. We have some loan guarantee money that will help
three, possibly four reactors get going. We need to get more than that
going, for sure," said Chu. "We also want to do research in more advanced
designs of reactors."