[Vision2020] Gary's challenge, my apology, the truth

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Jul 8 10:40:31 PDT 2009

Visionaires,

Last week, after Sarah Palin resigned the governorship of Alaska, I referred you all, or the three or four of you who might be interested, to my blog post about her resignation and her husband Todd's involvement in the Alaska secessionist movement.  In it, I made much about her having confused "succeed" and "secede" in an email exchange leaked to the media.

Gary was one of the three or four mentioned above and called me out on the "succeed/secede" thing, challenging me, as he should, to produce attribution.  I have spent much of the last four days trying to find the link; I saw the exchange and didn't bother attributing my report of it, saving it, or linking readers to it.  Now I can't find it, although I believe the link below represents the series of emails in which I said she confused the two.  But it doesn't matter if I can't back up what I said.

So -- I was wrong.  My memory of having read an email exchange isn't something any of you ever ought to accept as verified truth, and I should have known better and should've done better.  I was absolutely wrong to point out a mistake on Palin's part without verifying my source and attributing what I said to that source, and I apologize.  Attribution is something vital to the print journalist's role in uncovering and reporting the truth, and in this I have not lived up to that standard.  Further, Christians consider it sin to malign someone unfairly, and I didn't live up to that standard, either.

I'm concerned about Palin's denial of secessionist intent on the part of the AIP, and here's the link that shows the exchange between her and McCain campaign chief Steve Schmidt:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#31716580

If anyone can verify the "secede/succeed" point, I'd like to have the link.  But my apology still stands, will be repeated immediately on my blog, and the references to such a mistake will be removed.

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/