[Vision2020] U of I Vandal Science: Commentary On EPA Regulation of CO2: Ocean Acidification

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 13:33:20 PDT 2009

http://www.uidahoblogs.com/science/

The commentary at the Vandal Science blog at website above, with mention
of CO2 as a pollutant, and an EPA ruling on this issue, is from Tom
Williams, Ph.D., in the College of Science.  While I do not disagree with
his description of CO2's role in the biosphere and CO2's significant impact
on atmospheric temperature, I was a bit surprised that given his explicit
wording regarding CO2 as a "pollutant," that he did not mention, unless I
missed it, the impact of CO2 on acidification of the oceans.

The hundreds of billions of tons of CO2 humanity has dumped into the
atmosphere is increasing the acidity of the oceans (which are doing humanity
a great service by removing much of our CO2 emissions), and is predicted to
have serious negative impacts on marine organisms that are impaired with
increasing acidity.  In fact, as the published science articles referenced
below indicate, the impacts of CO2 as a "pollutant" increasing ocean acidity
impacting marine life may already be occurring.  This environmental problem
can damage ecosystems in the oceans in ways that can have wide
ranging consequences.  This problem alone is enough reason to lower CO2
emissions, even if anthropogenic warming were not occurring; and some of the
geo-engineering solutions to climate change (blocking solar radiation with
sulfur compounds injected into the upper atmosphere, mimicking the
cooling effect of volcanic eruptions), though they can cool the climate,
will not solve the problem of CO2 emissions increasing ocean acidity.

NOAA article on results of study of ocean acidification:
 International Scientists Find ‘Acidified’ Water on the Continental Shelf
from Canada to Mexico
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20080522_oceanacid.html

"Acidification of the Earth's ocean water could have far-reaching impacts on
the health of our near-shore environment, and on the sustainability of
ecosystems that support human populations through nourishment and jobs,"
said Richard W. Spinrad, NOAA assistant administrator for oceanic and
atmospheric research.

“Our findings represent the first evidence that a large section of the North
American continental shelf is seasonally impacted by ocean acidification,”
said Feely. “This means that ocean acidification may be seriously impacting
marine life on our continental shelf right now.”
The findings will be published May 22 in the online journal *Science Express
*. “Evidence for Upwelling of Corrosive ‘Acidified’ Water onto the
Continental Shelf” was written by Richard A. Feely and Christopher Sabine,
---------------

Science journal article on ocean acidification:
 Coral Reefs Under Rapid Climate Change and Ocean Acidification

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/318/5857/1737
Atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration is expected to exceed 500 parts per
million and global temperatures to rise by at least 2°C by 2050 to 2100,
values that significantly exceed those of at least the past 420,000 years
during which most extant marine organisms evolved.

Under conditions expected in the 21st century, global warming and ocean
acidification will compromise carbonate accretion, with corals becoming
increasingly rare on reef systems. The result will be less diverse reef
communities and carbonate reef structures that fail to be maintained.
Climate change also exacerbates local stresses from declining water quality
and overexploitation of key species, driving reefs increasingly toward the
tipping point for functional collapse. This review presents future scenarios
for coral reefs that predict increasingly serious consequences for
reef-associated fisheries, tourism, coastal protection, and people.

---------------
Tom Williams wrote on Vandal Science blog:

"The EPA recently declared that CO2 in the atmospheric was a threat to human
health. Essentially defining it as a pollutant (which has big economic and
health ramifications)."
Tom Williams' U of I staff info:

http://www.sci.uidaho.edu/home/staff.htm

The *Materials Characterization Laboratory* operates the Scanning Electron
Microcopy [SEM/EDS], powder x-ray diffraction [XRD] and ICP-AES facilities
for the COS.  These facilities are available to the college and the entire
UI campus on user-fee basis.  Tom’s primary duties are the operation and
management of instruments and their support facilities.  Tom also trains
faculty and students to operate instruments, in sample preparation
techniques, and assists in interpretation of data.