[Vision2020] January 28, 1986

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Wed Jan 28 16:07:27 PST 2009

I will never, never forget that moment.  It was my prep period right after
the beginning of school at MHS.    Bill Frye and I were sitting in the staff
room watching the lift off with several other folks who had the same prep.
We were so proud to have a teacher as a crew member, and she was going to be
doing lessons with students during the coming days.  Other teachers
throughout the school were watching with their classes.  Not all the rooms
had tv sets so some of the classes had been combined for those who wanted to
watch.  I remember seeing and not really believing for those long moments--I
think it was Bill Frye who said, "there's trouble," and then we knew.
Strange...but I don't remember much about the rest of the day and my
students, but somehow we got through it.

I had met the ten finalists during the NEA Representative Assembly in July.
On the day their names were to be released we got a bit of a heads up that
two were from Idaho--Barbara Morgan from McCall and a teacher from Boise.  I
had just gotten elected to the NEA Executive Committee and someone from the
Boise Statesman interviewed the three of us.  What a treat for me....just
lucky enough to share a moment with two real stars.

After the Challenger Disaster Barbara Morgan became the Teacher In Space and
continued her training, but she didn't get to make her mission and teach her
lessons until last year.

The Ellison Onizuka Memorial and Space Museum is here on the Big Island.
Christa McAuliff, the Teacher in Space who perished in the Challenger,  was
from New Hampshire.

Sue Hovey