[Vision2020] What We Stand For (Bob Schieffer)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jan 25 12:45:07 PST 2009

>From today's (January 25, 2009) commentary by Bob Schieffer on "Face the
Nation".

It is an example I have cited many times over the years, that Hubert
Humphrey once said the 1964 Civil Rights Act was America's single most
effective foreign policy initiative.

It had nothing to do with foreign policy, but it told the world who we
were and what we stood for, that our system was about fairness and equal
treatment - and that it worked.

I thought about that when Barack Obama announced that torture would never
be part of our national policy.

America has always been the most successful when it is leading by example,
when we've practiced what we've preached.

America's weapons did not win the Cold War; they kept the Soviet Union at
bay. The war was won when the people on the other side looked across the
Iron Curtain, saw a better way of life there, realized their system of
government could not give it to them, and so the walls came down.

With a simple declaration, President Obama told the world our system of
government is so strong we don't need to torture people to survive. That
is the way of those who would destroy us, but that is not us. We have
found a better way.

That is what our message to the world must be. More importantly, that is
what we want our children to know. When we are admired and respected by
others, we are far more secure than any weapon can ever make us.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman