[Vision2020] He's Baaaaaaack . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jan 19 10:05:37 PST 2009

Jennifer -

A;though I understand the situation you have described, it is not
applicable to the University of Idaho and the complaint filed by Mr.
Glasebrook.

Mr. Glasebrook is claiming that certin UI employees have violated the
University of Idaho's Computer-Use Policy:

http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/policy/

More specifially, where the policy explains . . .

"Use of university computers must comply with Idaho law and University
policies. Therefore, university computers may not be used for commercial
or profit-making purposes, for political purposes, or for personal benefit
where such use incurs a cost to the university and is not academically
related. State law prohibits unauthorized access to computer systems."

Now, back to your example.

I am guessing that if such a predicament were to (and most likely does)
exist, FIT (Florida Institute of Technology) has addressed such a scenario
in their policies.  They are probably considerably more permissive in such
matters as well, especially if they are the only "game in town".