[Vision2020] Now Housing

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 17 03:11:18 PST 2009

Mark,

I am happy you are still interested in this subject.

1) If you take federal funding, you are subject to their rules. The rules don't fit Moscow.

2) If you tax property in Moscow, it is no longer affordable to the poor.

3) If you are doing it for profit, like nursing homes are, rather than for the good the people, you will drive the cost up. A typical nursing home company, for example, needs a 30% return on their investment in order to remain attractive to investors and competative to other for-profit nursing homes. I would imagine you would need to have a similar return for this project.

So do all the math. A 30% profit on a taxed property, and you end up with a $500 a month apartment. And thus an average apartment in Moscow, not a low income one. Plus it has federal restrictions on who can even live in the housing unit. You are end up with the same situation we have now.

We need to cut out the additionial costs of providing huge profits to investors, high taxes from the local governments, and heavy restrictions from the federal government, from the start.

A good structure, I think, for a low income housing unit would be one that is all one level, on level ground. No Stairs, they should have big kitchens, living rooms, with wide door ways. The bathrooms should be big enough to park a wheel chair next to the toilet and dismount, and be able to shut the door for privacy with a wheel chair or walker next to the toilet. The tubs and showers should allow a place to sit for a shower without getting water on the floor. The house should be easy to clean. All the bedrooms should also be equal size, so roomates don't argue over who gets what room.

There should be a busline that runs to downtown, the malls, Wal-Mart, recreation centers/parks, and the library.

The units should look different enough from each other, not all the same and exact through out. It is annoying when you get easily confused or have bad eyesight and every apartment looks just like yours except for the tiny number on the door which you cannot see, read, or maybe remember.

There should be a section for animals and no animals. Children, no children, criminals and non-criminals. But otherwise mixed company. There should also be patrols to protect from the many that prey on the vulnurable.

The parking lot for the apartment should be right next to the door, not down the block. There should be a large wheelchair parking spot for the w/c apartments, and should allow enough room for a van that loads a w/c either from the side (a sideloader) or from the back (a rear loader). It should be big enough for a 3/4 van with a 10 ft. roof.

The community should have a basic living supplies center. That is a place where other members of community can donate basic living needs like combs, toothbrushes, jackets, blankets, canned food, clothes, shoes, paper products, etc. It should also have information on services available to them, including employment opportunties.

These were just some more things I thought about when working with some people and what they told me and experienced.

Best Regards,

Donovan