[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter 1 from Rep. Trail - Jan 12-16

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 20:34:58 PST 2009

Rep. Trail,

Thanks against for taking the time to update your constituents on important events with the Idaho lawmakers.

A few points and questions;

1)       Public Education  --

What process are they using to decide what classes and teachers to cut?
Are they planning on cutting services for children with special needs? If so, how much?

I agree with only using 35% of the reserve, simply because I think things may get worse in the future with collection of revenues.

"In 1998 Universities and Colleges received 15.76%
of the General Budget.  By 2008 the figure had fallen to 10.3%.   So
within a 20 year period funding for higher education has fallen 5.73% in
terms of the percentage allocation compared to the total budget."

Actually, if it was getting about 15% of the budget, and now only gets about 10%, that is a 50% drop, percentage wise. But how is that in actual dollars adjusted for inflation?

Also, did you mean to say "1988 in stead of 1998" , or ten years instead of 20, because from 1998 to 2008 is 10 years, not 20?

2) Transportation--

If think if the governor wants to invest in Transportation he should consider public transportation. But I don't think this should be a priority because in all likelihood, the Federal Government is going to fund local and state building projects for roads. So we should consider spending money in places the Federal Government will not be helping us out, like public buildings, new schools, utilities, and hospitals that will last us another 50 years or so.

3) Taxes---

I think now is the time to eliminate tax on food and basic living grocery items, including OTC medications. Raise taxes on luxery items and services, such as high prices clothing, styling parlor services, oil changes, car rentals, maid services, video rentals, and other such unneeded items and services.

4) Legislative Salaries---

This is just all for political show and does nothing good for the people of Idaho. Unless they are paid an exorbitant amount of money, I see no reason to make only the wealthy able to be legislatures by making it a public service without pay. Legislators deserve pay like everyone else. I don't think they should get rich, but they need to be compensated to take time away to do a good job, unless they are really wealthy, in which case, I am not sure I want them representing me anyway.

Please don't spend time on this issue; there are other things that need to be done.

Best Regards,

Donovan