[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter 1 from Rep. Trail - Jan 12-16

Don Coombs mushroom at moscow.com
Fri Jan 16 16:24:05 PST 2009

Quoting from Rep. Trail's newsletter:

"I asked Legislative Services to run the figures
comparing the State's contribution to Higher Education
in 1988 as compared to 2008.   The figures are
revealing. In 1998 Universities and Colleges received
15.76% of the General Budget.  By 2008 the figure had
fallen to 10.3%.   So  within a 20 year period funding
for higher education has fallen 5.73% in  terms of the
percentage allocation compared to the total budget."

I know that Rep. Trail is on top of the figures, so
this is merely making a point about their presentation.

It would be more appropriate to say that funding for
higher education has fallen

36% !

"in terms of the percentage allocation compared to the
total budget."

(That figure, .36, is what you get when you divide 5.73
by the original figure, 15.76.)

Don Coombs