[Vision2020] UI Program Cuts -- Diversity

Mo Hendrickson hend5953 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Mon Jan 12 10:05:03 PST 2009

 Donovan- Forgive me for not responding earlier, I have been out of town.  But I feel that some of your statements need to be addressed.  I believe that UI does have a commitment to diversity, I work in an office that sees a lot of the behind the scenes movement of diversity in the university.  >From the top to the bottom people are working on creating a more inclusive and open campus.  There is a long way to go, but if no one is doing the work then diversity at UI will stall out and forward progress will start to falter.  And yes I do see forward progress.  It is little steps, it is not broad strokes and amazing changes that happen overnight.  Those kinds of changes do not last, and most people who have a stake in diversity issues understand that.  Any change that can be made overnight can be undone overnight.  Any lasting change is slow and a system change.
As to the upper-class white, heterosexual, Christian, conservative thinking, males who don't have to work, I think that is a very broad generalization.  Can you show me the stats to back that up?  My guess is no.  If that was the case then we would not see students working in the various part time low wage jobs in the area.  Many of them, I am guessing are straight white males and possibly Conservatives and Christians, I don't know I can't tell by looking at them.  Sure there are some folks that go to UI that don't have to work, others live off of their loan checks, others work long hours to pay for school and living expenses.  My partner and I were both like that, but then again, we are two white, liberal, lesbians who shouldn't be at UI anyway.  From my own personal experience, my needs were met at UI, as were the needs of friends.  Why would people stay if they were not being met?  But then again, I know how to play well with others and work within a system instead of against it to make change happen.

Now the two vacant jobs.  Do you even know which ones they are?  Do you even care? From your post it sounds like you would rather punish the students, faculty and staff that benefit from those positions just to make a lame and vindictive point.  Sure let's leave the Office of Multicultural affairs terribly understaffed, that will do wonders for the University.  I know you have your disagreements with the Human Rights Compliance Office, but that too is a much needed office.  The HRCO is more than investigations and slapping peoples wrists, we are trying to be more proactive and less reactive to address the needs and problems before they arise and cause hurt with in the university.  Please show me how this office is just for show?  I work in the Human Rights Compliance Office, so chances are I know more about what goes on behind the scenes in this university than most people.  More than I really want to know about people.

For those of you that are worried that I am vasting your tax dollars by writing this at work, have no fear.  I started it on my laptop this morning while waiting for Keely.  And I am finishing it while I am taking my first break of the day.

-Mo Hendrickson

   Mo, I was fighting this fight when I was at UI. It is a no winner. Besides stating its commitment to diversity in the Mission Statement, UI has no commitment to diversity.  The UI's commitment is to more money, more students, bigger programs, and greater outreach.  It doesn't care about the diversity or quality at all. I think students thinking of attending UI should know that UI caters to mostly upper-class white, heterosexual, Christian, conservative thinking males that know how to brown nose and don't need a job to live while attending classes. Anyone with any other expectations should not come to UI, they will not get the needs they seek, they are better off going to another college or university.  I would rather have the key diversity positions at UI vacant, showing people that UI doesn't care about diversity, then to have two teeth-less ceremonial positions filled giving the illusion that some kind of commitment to diversity exists at UI. Just like they pretend they have an officer at UI that complies with the American Disability Act. It is just for show. If they want to cut expenses at UI; First, try not expanding to the point where you need every dollar you get in the first place. Put extra monies into capital projects, not permanent jobs that have to be cut. Second, cut the salaries of people making $50,000 to $100,000 by 5-10%. Third, get a grip on the matriculation budget. Finally, slash and eliminate athletic programs.  Best Regards, Donovan