[Vision2020] plowing

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 15:21:42 PST 2009

Keely and Sue,

Sue, I never made the boast of being all-knowing, so please don't put such nonsense into your emails.

Part of being a caregiver is knowing when and when not to help someone, and when that need is more serious or less serious.

Knowing when to help a person in a wheelchair, versus taking away their independence to open a door for themselves, is a learned concept. It is important that a person remain as independent as possible for as long as possible.

Sometimes you get people that CAN do things for themselves but want someone to do it for them. If someone always does do it for them they lose their independence and have a declining quality of life, and a shortened life span.

Same thing happens with pain medication. If you cry wolf over ever little pain to get a dose of pain killers, your body builds an early natural resistance to the medication, and not tolerance to pain. So people that cry wolf, end up in serious pain most the day because they maximized the amount of painkillers they can take earlier than most people. People that give pain medication have to determine the real level of pain, verses a person with low tolerance to discomfort so they do not have a patient they cannot help in later stages of an illness..

I have seen people sweating and screaming in pain, because they wanted the high of the pain killers and they don't work for them when they are in real pain. All we can do is hold their hand, make them as comfortable as possible, and sympathize with them.

I would imagine both of you, as caregivers, would be administrating the pain meds too early, and doing things for people when they should doing them for themselves.

You are not thinking ahead, you are just reacting emotionally with no long term thinking about the consequences of your actions.

If any of you gave a rip about those in real need, rather then just reacting to any and all things, you would have fought to keep Latah's ONLY skilled nursing home, and the only opportunity for level 4 and 5 care level patients without private insurance to stay close to family and friends.

This sidewalk thing is very frivolous. And is not addressing any real problems. It is whining because you aren't interested in the real problems of the community, nor are you offering or doing anything about it. It is just something to complain about. Yes, it sucks stomping through slush. But it isn't a serious problem to waste taxpayer monies on during the worst economic recession since WWII.

And no Keely, we will not have to worry about me ever being your caregiver, you will have to leave Latah because you don't make enough to afford a caregiver in Latah. The facility you would have qualified for is shut down now. How ironic huh?

Best Regards,

Donovan