[Vision2020] U of I Program Cuts

Mo Hendrickson hend5953 at vandals.uidaho.edu
Fri Jan 9 13:28:24 PST 2009

Roger-

A couple of comments and questions regarding you program cuts.First, you write, "To help save some programs and jobs. everyone should take a 5 to 10% pay cut. Less money is better than no money."  I am glad to hear that you are in a financial postion to take that kind of cut.  There are many of us working for the University that could not manage that cut.  I currently work in an IH position and have not had any pay increase in the three years in that position.  So sure ask the administration to take reductions, but the folks down on the bottom of the pay chain can't handle that kind of reduction.

I also question your statement, "I don't think the University needs that many people in development or diversity at this point."  I am guessing that your view on diverity is based on an older model of diversity, that it is about skin color and gender.  In my point of view, diversity is more than tracking how many people of color we have on campus, it is more than the number of women we have in the classrooms, diversity includes all of us, it is religion, it is gender, it is white men over 40, it is women in their 20's, understanding diversity is key in creating an environment in which students, staff, and faculty thrive.  We should be investing in diversity not cutting it.  That doesn't mean throwing money at it and giving it lip service, but really assessing the incredible resources we have on campus and finding ways to use them to bring in more students, to attract the best and brightest scholars.  I don't want UI to become a homogenized unit, with everyone looking, thinking and acting the same, there is no life in that.

I would also argue that this university if understaffed in terms of diversity programming not over staffed.  We are currently have two key diversity positions on campus that are vacant and those vacancy are being felt.  So please tell me why you think we need less people in diversity.

-Mo Hendrickson
A proud advocate for diversity> > =======================================================> List services made available by First Step Internet, > serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994. > http://www.fsr.net > mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com> =======================================================