[Vision2020] Failed Drug Policies from Nixon to Bush

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 27 19:01:50 PST 2009

Donovan Arnold wrote:
> What Nick doesn't realize is that it isn't the government's
> responsibility to keep people off drugs. That is the responsibility of
> the individual. Only you can decide not to use drugs and take
> responsibility for your behavior and decisions to use or not use
> drugs, and what you put in your body.

I agree with you.  It should be all about personal responsibility, and
I'm all for decriminalizing marijuana at least, and possibly other drugs
as well.  Take the money out of it and you take most of the crime out of
it.  I'm all for age limits, though, the possibility of screwing up your
future because of an episode or two of immaturity is too high.

> The Government didn't fail with drugs, only people that decided not to
> get off drugs fail. Only people that refuse to take personal
> responsibility are the ones that fail.

I'd say the government failed because they took the wrong approach.
They made it a war on an idea, which is an absurd concept and this is
the result.

> And who really gives a damn if bombing cocaine fields in South America
> makes other nations mad. These people are doing wrong, and the US has
> every right to protect themselves from people trying to do harm to our
> citizens.

Would it be OK if fundamentalist Muslim countries bombed Las Vegas?  In
their view, everyone there is "doing wrong".

Paul