[Vision2020] You're Never Too Old

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Feb 27 07:25:08 PST 2009

Courtesy of the Sierra Trading Post at:

http://tinyurl.com/KenMink

73-Year-Old Man Plays College Basketball

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvkmqbgUU_E

At age 73, Ken Mink has made a triumphant return to college basketball.
Not as a fan or a referee, but as an actual member of the team. Mink is
playing for the Roane Junior College Raiders and wears jersey number 54.

Mink isn’t new to basketball. He received a scholarship to play for Lees
Junior College in Kentucky in 1955 and did quite well, averaging 13 - 14
points a game. But his basketball career was cut short when he was accused
of slathering the coach’s office with shaving cream and subsequently
kicked off the team. (He maintains his innocence to this day.)

“I knew that I had been cheated out of a year of basketball,” Mink said on
the Today show. “And that’s frustrated me my whole life. I needed some
redemption here. I gotta end that nightmare that’s been haunting me for 50-
some years.”

Now, after raising a family and enjoying a successful career in
journalism, Mink is back on the court to re-live the dream that was stolen
from him. Mink found a team willing to give him a chance. And he’s still
pretty darn good. Granted, he doesn’t see a tremendous amount of game
time. But when he does, both fans and teammates love to watch him play.

>From the article on MSNBC… Last fall, in his first game appearance, he got
hammered while taking a shot. He shook off the hard foul, walked to the
free-throw line and calmly swished both shots. He was swarmed by teammates
when he came off the court. NBC’s Peter Alexander asked Mink to describe
what he felt.

“OK, my dream’s coming true,” he said. “And all the fans are going crazy.”

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman