[Vision2020] Humane interrogations work

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Thu Feb 26 14:39:12 PST 2009

I'll assume we both want the same thing: to be safe and secure. While we both may think the other is making that more improbable, I hope we agree that that's not our intent.

I'm no expert, and I don't guarantee my suggestions would solve the problems, but I think they would help on top of the arsenal already in place, the ones you suggest. The status quo, though, may lead to bankruptcy, both financial and moral, so I'm not sure that's worth the cost in the long run as it's currently unfolding.

I'm sure there are others who have laid out a more comprehensive way of helping bring peace, but in no particular order, here are some things I recommend, some of which I wrote previously:

Form a committee to investigate 911. Now that Bucheney's admin is gone, there is less conflict of interest, and more probability of uncovering things that many now find suspicious. If discrepancies are sincerely addressed, it would add morale to our military, which has suffered tremendously under Bucheney. If people remain suspicious, recruitment will remain low, and you won't have the support needed to fully engage the issue. Now, you have more and more soldiers who feel they were used, and a record number of them commiting suicide, a big sign that something is wrong.

I know there are some on this list who initially supported the war of terror, but who lost faith due to Bucheney's misleadership. Those of us who were once in the minority opposing the Iraq war now have the majority, because most now see that 911 was used to advance an imperial agenda that the neocons had promoted pre-911. And that view is held world-wide, meaning people don't trust the US to sincerely be concerned with solving the terror issue. By addressing the 911 issue fully, we'll probably gain more support. Both Bush and Cheney need to testify, and this time under oath.

We need to acknowledge mistakes were made, and that the US is guilty of terror, too. What else was "Shock and Awe" if not to instill terror? Otherwise, we are seen as hypocrites, and we won't have the support needed worldwide.

We need to reduce our consumption of foreign oil. This is something every one of us can do, and that starts with reducing buying things that need more fuel to get them to their destination, and supporting local economies. From my perspective, support your local farmer for starters.

We need to be consistent in opposing things counter to our values. If we don't want Sharia law, we shouldn't want other religious based laws, which include those that don't allow some to marry another person they wish to dedicate their life to. They fact that the Bible is used to prevent gays from marrying one another shows that many Americans don't respect the 1st Amendment, and that they want to push their religious views on everybody. The only difference betweem Islamic and Christian fanatics is the degree of repression expected. That being the case, it is obvious that most of this is a religious war.

Therefore, we need to not name our weapons in biblical terms. We need to make sure our generals are not calling the war a crusade. Otherwise, some soldiers make it a religious war, which seems to me to be no better than militant Islamists who think they are doing God's will.

It's apparent, though, that end-timers are big pushers of the war, seeing as they believe the Rapture is imminent. They are willing to wage a holy war, believing Jesus will return and hold everybody accountable. That is ridiculous, and counter-productive. It seems they want a self-fullfilling prophecy, not to stop terrorism, while the rest of us be damned. There doesn't seem to be much diffenence between a suicide bomber who expects to be greeted by 1000 virgins, and an end-timer pushing the war for Armageddon, expecting to go to heaven. They sound like the same place to me;)

Which brings us to Israel, a country created in the middle of the "Holy Land." Our unconditional support of a country willing to drop tons of cluster bombs on kids is wrong. I don't value an Israeli any more than a Palestinian, an Iranian, or any body. All humans have an inherent worth, and by the US giving Israel tens of billions of dollars each year, weapons and war craft, and carte blanche to do whatever they will, is short-sighted when it's obvious that power is used to kill innocents.

Which brings us to those that don't think Israel should exist. We need to have high level talks with our enemies. Bush was not wise in refusing to dialog with Ahmadinejad. That showed stubbornness, and lack of intellect, and only further isolated Iran. They have every right to be interested in the future of Iraq, as they are next door neighbors. It seems reasonable to talk with them about that and other issues, to find common ground, and to compromise if needed.

I agree this is a long-term problem. Therefore, we need to insure our kids are educated, not just babysat in school. We need to build more schools and pay our teachers more, as they are the ones who are helping insure our kids are taught to be rational, to understand science, to appreciate learning, etc. We need to keep religion out of schools, because blind faith in a book written eons ago is what fuels religious fanaticism, which seems to be a root cause of some's desire to repress others.

We need to honor those who are willing to engage in the war zone without the protection of weapons. The courageous doctors and others who go there to try to help the people should be given more support, as this kind of soft policy is probably in the long run going to insure that other people don't hate all Americans, and therefore will help promote peace among their own people. That won't happen, though, if more and more suffer at the hand of military might.

I don't think fighting terrorists is our main problem. We are facing global ecosystem collapse due to too many people using too many resources, and polluting the very things we need to survive, so we need to put the war of terror in context of inevitable threats to our well-being. The good thing is, these problems have common solutions, but they require rational minds making decisions based on understanding that all our actions have consequences, and that we have a common cause to work towards: creating a sustainable society not based on exploitation of others.

It very well be that we are too far gone to stop the violence, as there is too much hatred, to much fanaticism, and too many weapons in the hands of people willing to use them. I agree with you, though, that we need to pray for a better world, as holding in our mind the vision of a future where we all are safe and secure in all regards is good, as long as we realize that we all are responsible for seeing that through. We can't rely on the government or the church to be the sole arbitrator of our well-being.

Which means, we all should be doing what we can to promote peace, not just laying the sacrifice on our soldiers.

gclev