[Vision2020] Obama Family Gets Ready to Pick First Dog

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Feb 25 14:42:32 PST 2009

Courtesy of the Wall Street Journal at:

http://tinyurl.com/cgf395

---------------------------------------

Obama Family Gets Ready to Pick First Dog
Susan Davis reports on the White House.

Forget about the health and human services secretary, the Obama family is
zeroing on their nominee for First Dog, according to People Magazine.

This undated photo provided by Sen. Edward Kennedy’s office shows Kennedy
holding his 13-week old Portuguese water dog, Cappy. Kennedy has voiced
his support for the breed to the Obama family.

http://s.wsj.net/media/water_dog_E_.jpg

First Lady Michelle Obama told People that the pooch’s arrival is
scheduled April, at the urging of 7-year-old First Daughter Sasha. “So
Sasha says ‘April 1st.’ I said, ‘April.’ She says, ‘April 1st.’ It’s like,
April!” she said.

The first lady favors Portuguese Water Dogs as a breed, which makes sense
because they don’t shed and are considered one of the more hypo-allergenic
types of dog. The elder Obama daughter, Malia, is allergic to dogs.

At his first press conference as president, Barack Obama quipped that the
family should get a “mutt like me” in reference to his mixed racial
heritage.

Obama friend and political ally, Sen. Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts, is
also fond of Portuguese Water Dogs—he has two and even authored a
children’s book featuring his pup, Splash.

The first family has also been debating dog names–the first lady has
already nixed Frank and Moose as potential monikers. “I’m like, no. Come
on. Let’s work with the names a little bit,” she told People.

As a nod to Kennedy, Washington Wire offers a name suggestion for the dog:
Teddy.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman