[Vision2020] DARE to speak the truth

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 25 11:47:51 PST 2009

I remember back in the Dark Ages when my daughter got her first taste of
DARE in kindergarten.  I have to preface it by saying that I think Moscow's
DARE officers have done an excellent job with what they've had to work with,
and I think having the DARE officers go into the classroom in a
non-threatening way is a Great thing overall, although I'd prefer a
different program than DARE to get them there.

Anyway, after that first day, we were discussing what she'd learned, and all
was well until she saw my pack of cigarettes, at which point she gasped,
pointed and said, "Mommy, that's drugs!"  Which, of course, sparked a great
conversation  :-)

The scene was repeated later that night when she realized that the glass of
wine Daddy had every night with dinner as also "drugs!"

At that point, the devil just got into me.  Using the same conspiratorial
low voice she'd been using to tell us about what she'd learned, I introduced
the topic of caffeine, which so many teachers walked around school with in
their cups of coffee  :-)   And that was also in the Coke the was my almost
constant companion at the time  :-)  Her parents were, to the kindergartener
who'd had one day of DARE, drug addicts, what with our nicotine, caffeine,
and alcohol!

We talked it through even more, and she had a ***much*** better
understanding of the finer details that either hadn't been taught that first
day or hadn't managed to make in through her kindergarten cognitive
functioning in a sensible way.

And, we got a great story to tell through the years  :-)

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2009 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****