[Vision2020] Roger's Confusions about My Position on Abortion

nickgier at roadrunner.com nickgier at roadrunner.com
Tue Feb 24 14:17:42 PST 2009

Hi Roger,

If the conservative view is the traditional view, then my view on abortion is conservative.  My article on abortion (<www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/abortion.htm>) is clearly divided into a historical part and a philosophical part.  In the first part I demonstrate that our religious, moral, and legal traditions support a position similar to Roe v. Wade, that the fetus becomes a person late in fetal development.

In the philosophical part I do not argue from religion as you claim; rather, I present scientific evidence from fetal development and match that with a definition of a person as one with brain development qualitatively different from animals, a position that has essentially been held since Aristotle. There are no mental gymnastics here, but simply a straightforward forward argument.

With regard to the charge of "murder of the unborn," you have not presented any rational arguments except a guess that "conception is closer to the demarcation point."  When you present an argument for a human person at conception, then we can have a debate.  Until then you have no moral or legal grounds for your position.

By the way, the more I learn about animal intelligence, the more unsure I am of the tradition position that persons have mental lives qualitatively different from many animals.  What this does of course is to confirm the animal rights position and my vegetarianism.  Stay tuned for a column on the mental gymnastics of those amazing animals--parrots and crows to chimps and whales.

Thanks for the dialogue,

Nick