[Vision2020] Legislative update VI from Rep. Trail

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Fri Feb 20 17:25:16 PST 2009

                          LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER VI -- FEB15-20/2009
Constituents:
   One of the highlights of this legislative week was the University of
Idaho basketball team defeating Boise State University by a 56-54
margin.  I had the opportunity to spread the good news in a presentation
to the JFAC Committee, in the House Education Committee, and on the floor
of the House.  These are the moments to glory in.  Last week I had been
speaking with former Speaker of the House, Bruce Newcomb, who now works
for BSU.  I offered him a free Vandal cap and sweater to wear the game.
He said, "Tom!! We are going to kick your....."  I can hardly wait to
talk with him again.  And now on to other highlights of the week.

  1.  Stimulus Package  --  It is interesting to note that many Idaho
political figures are vigorously protesting against the stimulus package
and that we certainly should not be taking advantage of this federal
aid.  It is interesting to note that each year Idaho receives over $1.9
billion in federal assistance--Medicaid-$900 million, Transportation-$264
million, public schools-$215 million, etc.  I seldom hear anyone
protesting against these year-after-year monies coming into the state.
I can understand the great cost of this economic intervention as a cost
to our kids and grandkids and the perils of using one-time federal
dollars to plug holes in the state general fund.

  2. Budgeting  --  There is a great deal of uncertainty of exactly how
much the stimulus package will bring to Idaho (best estimate is about $1
billion over a two year period).  We learned that staff in D.C. are still
writing up parts of the bill even though the President has signed it.
The Governor's Office,  JFAC, and Legislative Services are working
overtime to figure out the approximate amount of money coming in as well
as the conditions for the monies to be used.  Gov. Otter has issued an
Executive Order.  He has appointed a committee of former Governors and
other officials to advise him in how to budget and prioritize the
stimulus monies.  JFAC is proceeding to go ahead and set preliminary
budgets based on the best information that they have.  Frankly, we've
heard that we may still be in session going into April.

   3. Human Rights Act -- Sen. Nicole LeFavour's bill to amend the Idaho
Human Rights Act to prohibit discrimination in employment, education, and
housing on the basis of sexual orientation failed in the Senate State
Affairs Committee.  The Act already bars discrimination on the basis of
race, color, sex, and national origin.  Senator. LeFavour plans on
bringing the bill back again next year.

   4. Idaho Midwives -- This legislation would require voluntary
licensing of midwives. A similar bill was defeated last year with
opposition from the Idaho Medical Association.  Currently, Idaho requires
no license or certification to be a midwife, but midwives are recognized
by state law.  The Idaho Hospital Association is concerned that if a
midwife "botches" a delivery and then the mother and baby are taken to
the hospital -- then the hospital and doctor are liable for anything that
might go wrong.  The bill will get a hearing in House State Affairs.

   5. Increase in Wine and Beer Tax -- A bill to raise the state's beer
and wine taxes survived a close vote in Rev and Tax by a 12-10 vote.
Another close vote is expected this next week.  The proposal would raise
the beer and wine tax, and the monies would go to treat substance abuse.
For years, beer and wine consumers have gotten off fairly cheap.  The
state's 15 cent per gallon beer tax has been unchanged since it was
established in 1961.  The wine tax has been unchanged from 45
cents/gallon which took effect back in 1971.  I've received about 25
emails on this issue with constituents opposing the measure about 80
against it.  The reason they give is that it is not good to raise taxes
in tough economic times.

    6. Seat Belt Proposals Rejected -- two bills that called for stiffer
penalties will not be heard in the House Transportation Committee.  They
would have made a failure by any person in a vehicle to use a seat belt a
primary offense.  Because Idaho does not have such a law we lose about $5
million/year in federal funds. We also lose about the same amount each
year because we do not require motorcyclists to wear helmets.

    That's it for this week.  We hope to have further clarification about
the stimulus package this coming week.  Please send your comments and
suggestions to me.  My phone is 332-1184 and e mail
ttrail at house.idaho.gov

Representative Tom Trail