[Vision2020] Rent Prices Was: Sen Schroeder

Jennifer Ingalls jennifer at inlandradio.com
Fri Feb 20 13:43:46 PST 2009

I am not really sure about how rent controls work--are they based on
percentages on averages, what? On the surface it sounds great, but my
concern would be that if I owned a duplex and wanted to rent it out, would
the caps be so low as to preclude me from a.) making improvements/repairs
and b.) turning a profit.

But the situation I described is unfortunately fairly common. If you plan to
stay in Moscow over the summer, leasing agencies will often lower the per
month rent but require occupancy over the summer. But, if you wait to rent
the same place in August, the rent is X amount more per month from August to
May. In the situation I described, the landlord had not published the rent
price of this house, but when the girls arrived to look at it told them
several other people were waiting to see it, that they'd have it filled by
the end of the day for sure, if they waited to decide, they'd lose it and
not find anything else in time for school, etc. ---that's a lot of preying
on young people who knew nothing about renting (my friend said she now
regrets being so dumb about it but thinks she's learned a lot from this
rather expensive venture).

My husband's duplex he lived in before we were married was very reasonably
priced; however, the landlord didn't want or wouldn't rent to undergraduate
students. I lived in a duplex when I was in school where the landlord had
very strict rules involving how late I could have guests, etc.  But I think
all these scenarios are pretty common in college towns. It's not that it's
right or ok, but it is pretty common, and I kind of understand it. My mom
lives in a residential neighborhood and two properties (houses) have become
rentals within the past 5 or so years (my parents bought the house in 1974
when it was all single family homes in the area). The renters park illegally
(wrong facing, wrong side of street, blocking driveways, etc.). Those things
I blame on the renters. The weeds, lack of sidewalk maintenance and
generally declined appearances of these houses, however, I blame on the
property owners and/or managers. Would she rather that an elderly couple or
a family with kids lived there instead of the students? Absolutely, but she
moved to a university town . . . what did she expect?

Jennifer L. Ingalls