[Vision2020] Rent Prices Was: Sen Schroeder

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Feb 20 08:42:50 PST 2009

Jennifer -

Perhaps what we need, until suitable low-income housing is built and made
available, is rent control on those facilities currently housing low-
income families.

If rent is as outrageous as you reflect, the situation requires that
limits/restrictions be enacted.

Thoughts?

> A young friend of mine is a student at Idaho and lives in a house with 5
> other girls. With all due respect to my friend, the house they rent is in
> horrible shape, and they pay more than what my brother pays for a similar
> sized house that overlooks the lake (beautiful views from the wrap-around
> deck) near Seattle in the city of Shoreline. While not all property
> management companies are taking advantage of renters, some are (though I
> suspect that is the case anywhere). College towns seem to be more
inflicted
> by rent inflation than other areas (fair or not). Comparing Moscow to
Boise
> or Coeur d'Alene isn't realistic; Boise isn't a college town-neither is
CDA.

<http://pullman.craigslist.org/apa/1036354824.html>

<http://pullman.craigslist.org/apa/1013041656.html>

<http://pullman.craigslist.org/apa/1000840245.html>
> 828 N. Grant - (Moscow) pic
>

> Average the house price for a 4 bedroom home: $1097
>
> Add in WSG and electricity which most renters have to pay in homes and
that
> is over $1200. Most the homes in Moscow are really old too, built before
> dirt was invented.
>
> If you buy a house, the average mortgage in Moscow is almost $200,000,
which
> means a monthly payment of $1200 or a month unless your have a high down
and
> a 720+ FICO.
>
> The apartments you have lived in Chas, were in all honestly, not that
nice.
> I have seen them. Some smell like dog sh*t and cat piss even, and plenty
of
> smokers around, I kid you not. I have been to almost every apartment
complex
> in Moscow, and unless you are living in subsidized housing, you are
paying
> at least $550 a month for a large one bedroom or two small bedroom one
bath,
> or you are living in something small or nasty. Most of them are older
> apartments too, around for my parents or when my sister was a Frosh at
UI.

> In the Treasure Valley and Magic Valley, and most other cities in Idaho,
you
> can rent a newer three or four bedroom 2 or three bath home for $850 and
in
> some places $700 a month that has a two or three car garage and and about
> 1200-1600 Sq.ft. That is the common rate. Not a beat up 50 year old
house on
> a gravel road next to a wheat field with a one legged dog that chases
your
> pickup every time you drive down your driveway.
>
> In addition, the average household income in Latah is below $26,000 a
year,
> although it is slightly higher in the city. This is much lower than in
other
> parts of the state. So you have higher housing costs, and lower income.
> Which is why so many people in Moscow are living below or just over the
> poverty level.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Donovan

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman