[Vision2020] Presidential Rankings (2009)

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 22:45:07 PST 2009

Sue,

It was necessary to drop the bomb for several reasons.

1) It brought a quick end to the war
2) It kept the rest of Japan intact
3) It gave us an unconditional surrender, which is what the Allies swore to do
4) It limited Casualties on both sides of the war
5) It showed Russia that we have the bomb, and will use it, so back out of Germany and Western Europe.
6) The aftermath of the A-Bomb, its horrible impact on people, helped Senator Benston-D Texas, convince the Senate to block General MacArthur's attempts to end the Korean War by dropping 50 A-Bombs on China.
7) It has prevented anyone from using a nuclear bomb again

So, I have read the arguments. I don't think your friend, Hershey, had any greater insight than Truman or his advisers. Hershey was just 31, Truman was President, he had more information and a bigger picture of the issues at the time.

The consequences of not dropping the bomb would have been worse. Hard to believe, but it would have been.

Best Regards,

Donovan