[Vision2020] legislative report

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Thu Feb 19 15:54:55 PST 2009

>From the Legislature

February 19, 2009

Shirley Ringo

Greetings from the Statehouse!  We are finishing our sixth week of the legislative session, and I write to give you an update on what is happening in Boise.

Members of the Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee return to the drawing board for another look at budget proposals.  Efforts are directed towards understanding how to use recovery funds coming our way.

Next Monday's hearing in the Joint Finance Committee will focus upon "Navigating the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009."  Taking time to understand the implications of the Act is slowing the process here, and will undoubtedly push back our sine die.  However, it is complicated and we need to be sure to use these resources to best advantage.  Some are calling it "Stimulus Package 101."

On consecutive days, the House was honored with visits from Senator Mike Crapo and Senator James Risch.  Both hastened to point out their displeasure with the "stimulus bill."  Senator Risch brought a stack of papers about one foot high (to approximate the bill) and asked if anyone in the chamber had read the bill.  He sought to drive his point home by indicating that the bill contained an earmark of $50 million for the endangered "red-breasted harvest mouse found only in Nancy Pelosi's district."  The problem with making claims in this arena is that someone is bound to check them out.  The information that there is no such earmark and no such mouse in Pelosi's district did not elicit much more than a shrug from Risch or his team.

Much discussion has been focused upon the issue of raising the beer and wine tax.  The proposal involves a 7.8% tax on the wholesale price of beer.  58% of the revenues would go to substance abuse treatment, 9.5% to the Permanent Building fund, and the rest to the general fund.  The tax on the wholesale price of wine would be 4.5%.  58% of the revenue would go to substance abuse treatment, 1.5% to grape growers, and the rest to the general fund.  It is likely that members of the Revenue and Taxation will vote on this proposal next Monday.  (February 23.)  Lobbying groups for the beer and wine industry have been very active in opposing this legislation.  A close vote is expected.

It is widely accepted that Idaho's method of funding for highway maintenance is not adequate. A variety of legislative proposals are being submitted to the Transportation Committee as legislators attempt to deal with the problem.  The winner for a "thinking outside the box" solution (in my opinion) involves a bill proposed by Russell Matthews (R-Idaho Falls) and Marv Hagedorn (R-Meridian).  They propose design and sales of silver and gold transportation medallions.  The theme of the design would be "pioneering infrastructure," and proceeds would go to the state highway account.  Other proposals include the more traditional approach of raising taxes or fees - mostly the gas tax and registration fees in varying amounts.

Last week, a bill was introduced in the House Education that confirmed my fears that certain legislators would exploit the unfortunate circumstances of this economic downturn.  The bill proposes changes in code to deal with the financial emergency, but made permanent changes to deal with a temporary situation.  In addition, the bill proposes changes that are politically, rather than fiscally motivated.  If you are interested in checking out the details, it is House Bill 117.  One can hope that funds from the recovery and reinvestment act will put an end to such antics.  Provisions of the legislation are being discussed by interested parties.  I have been impressed by the willingness of educators to make sacrifices in order to keep teachers in the classroom and the number of students per classroom in check.

Legislators who are Vandal fans took advantage of an opportunity to exercise bragging rights regarding our superb basketball team.

As always, please feel free to contact me with questions or comments on issues of concern to you.  My e-mail is sringo at house.idaho.gov.

Sincerely,

Representative Shirley Ringo