[Vision2020] Sen Schroeder

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 19 13:23:16 PST 2009

Andy & Ellen are both right on.  And, it's not just Moscow that has more
than a few empty retail spaces - Pullman has them, too.

It's amazing to me that folks want to think a potential Hawkins Mall is such
a good thing all the while b*tching about the costs of goods here (after
all, that's why they advocated for Super SprawlMarts here and in Pullman).
The sales tax right across the state line is higher than in Moscow, which
would leave less money in my pocket.  Other costs that will be passed onto
consumers include but are not limited to Washington's higher minimum wage
and the "premium" cost for the water we'll be selling them if Steed, Krauss,
Weber, Carscallan, and Schroeder have their way.

The end result will be that after driving local Moscow businesses into the
ground, our local shopping options will be even more limited and more
expensive.  Penny wise and pound foolish is what my granddaddy would have
called it.

Personally, if Hawkins wants to follow the "if we build it, they will come"
attitude, they're free to waste their money, but I'd encourage the rest of
us to remember that the corridor isn't Hollywood.  I'm pleased as punch that
the blight of  dark stores will be on the other side of the state line, and
I seriously think that those who think the Hawkins Mall will be a
destination to draw people from out of the area to shop here should get
their heads examined.  Remember, when trying to attract new businesses to an
area, they look at things like how much business failure there's been in an
area, and no matter how I crunch things, I see the Hawkins development as
planned as a loser.  Further, as we all should know, this area has only
limited retail dollars for each of us to spend, and by in any way
facilitating a development across state lines that will pull those dollars
away from Moscow and from Idaho is cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

And, when Moscow doesn't make the money off this dirty deal some think we
can make but have pushed their own personal agendas to open the Pandora's
Box of selling water across state lines, we'll remember who was behind this
ill-conceived scheme.

Frankly, it's absolutely mind-boggling to me why our so-called leaders would
want any piece of a bad pie.  If those on the other side of the state line
want to see the corridor disappear into buildings & such, there's not much
we can do about it except demand that they put the infrastructure burden of
their own backs.  But, to want Moscow to make money by selling water across
the state line is just plain wrong, IMHO.

And, if they're willing to try to get a piece of this bad pie to try to make
money, where will they stop???  What deal would be too stinky for them to
try to take advantage - personal or otherwise - of???

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2009 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****