[Vision2020] Offensive Cartoon (in my opinion)

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 20:01:42 PST 2009

Chasuk wrote:
> You aren't a racist, Kai, but I believe that you have grown so
> understandably weary of the accusation that you sometimes fail to see
> it when it actually exists.
>
> Your interpretation of the cartoon is certainly plausible, but I'm
> betting that the artist enjoyed tweaking the noses of those whom he
> knew would perceive it differently.
>
> Chas

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

Perhaps people have been making their noses a little too available for
tweaking.

I saw it as "an animal escaping from the zoo", since it's outside in an
apparently residential setting.  The monkey is certainly not drawn to
resemble anything other than a monkey.  So if the artist is going for
nose-tweaking, they missed an opportunity.

Besides, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 was
primarily authored by David Obey, Democrat from Wisconsin and Chairman
of the Committee on Appropriations, a white dude.

I think we're being too sensitive here.   There's enough examples of
blatant racism out there to focus on that we don't need to be so
hyper-sensitive about it.  Save it for where it's most needed, and avoid
crying wolf too often.

Paul